Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do you discipline a HAPPY 5 year old who doesn't listen?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM
  • 14 Replies

My HAPPY son, who laughs, jokes and just really loves to have fun doesn't listen. I can ask him 10 times a day to sit at the dining table and have his snack but he looks at me as if I talk to the walls. He doesn't care, he doesn't listen...he does not take anything seriously. He jumps around and never sits still. Please help. I have tried taking his his toys away, taking biking (he loves the most) away...but nothing works.

by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Time out, lost privileges or outings.  Putting your hand on him arm and place him back on the chair if he attempts to get up when told not too. 

Be creative give him half of his snack if he wants the other half he has to remain in his chair and then he can have another half.  If he gets up he loses his snack and can wait until the next meal to be served before he can have anything else to eat. 

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Not sure but good luck!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Seatbelt on the chair
SuckIt69
by Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Pick your battles. Sitting at the table wouldn't bother me. But there will be no dessert, no TV, no toys until everyone else finishes dinner.
Stari27
by New Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Word things more as rewards instead of discipline, but careful not worded as bribes, instead something like since you know he loves biking "After you have finished your snack at the table we will be able to go for a ride, but not till snack time at the table is done" as opposed to "if you sit at the table you can go for a ride after" which sounds like a bribe. 

okpondlady
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

The first time he didn't listen you should have busted his ass.  Like 5-6 good swats on his behind.  He will listen if you apply it properly AND you don't need to do it frequently.

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM
I would tell him to sit down and if he didn't I would quit giving him a snack
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CherylAnne81
by on Aug. 24, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I am confused why you are making a point that he happy? If he's not behaving and you need to discipline him....he shouldn't be happy. You don't discipline in a way that he gets to still be happy---thats not discipline thats being a friend. Sounds to me he doesn't listen because you have not got the importance of listening across to him.

However..just a note...boys don't sit still. He should still listen and show a form of trying....but keep that in mind. 

This may not seem like a big deal...but consider the next time he try's running across a road....is he going to listen when you scream stop at him? If not....you better get the point across and quick. 

My kids....I would have told him to sit down and eat....AND MAKE HIM repeat it back to me.

When he jumped up...spanked his butt...took his food away and told him he's done. Obviously he is not that hungry. If he is....and asks for food 10 min later....ASK him why he's hungry, if he can't remember remind him... and tell him to go play. Then plan on feeding him at dinner time....if it was going to be a really long time I would move dinner up with out the kids knowing it. They are not in control and will eat when I feed them...other wise they can go hungry.  I am not a 24 hour chef. 

At this point I never have problems...they know that when its time to eat, it's time to eat.

Good luck. 

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I agree .. this ;)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Time out, lost privileges or outings.  Putting your hand on him arm and place him back on the chair if he attempts to get up when told not too. 

Be creative give him half of his snack if he wants the other half he has to remain in his chair and then he can have another half.  If he gets up he loses his snack and can wait until the next meal to be served before he can have anything else to eat. 

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 12:45 AM

My 4 yr old daughter tries to pretend she doesn't hear me either.  I have to get her right in front of me, get down to her level, look her in the eyes and tell her in as few words as possible what I need her to do.  Then I tell her what the consequence will be which is normally no snack until she complies with the request.  When she doesn't listen I try to give her the consequence that is connected with my request.  If she doesn't pick up her toys after the second warning she loses them for a week.  If she hits her sister, she does not get to play and goes to time out for four minutes.  When she returns from time out, she has to apologize and have a good attitude.  If she cannot, she needs to go back to the corner until she is ready to.  It's a lot of work and sometimes it takes awhile but she knows that I mean business. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN