Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Mom Fakes Childs Cancer to Get Gifts! WHAT?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM
  • 15 Replies

Mom Arrested for Scamming 'Bucket List' Wishes for Daughter Who Wasn't Dying

by Kiri Blakeley 

A mother has been arrested for siphoning off cash and favors from the community after announcing that her 5-year-old daughter was dying of cancer. Turns out the girl was perfectly healthy. We've heard this story before, and it blows me away every time. In this case, Leatha Kaye Slauson, 30, of Atlantic, Iowa is accused of raising over $1,000 online for care her daughter didn't need, as well as getting the community to pay for a trip to Disney World to fulfill a last wish.

Other bucket list wishes were granted, such as the girl, who wanted to be a firefighter, getting to ride in a firetruck. Meanwhile, Slauson, who has four other children, was telling anyone who would listen, that her daughter's cancer had spread and she didn't have much time left.

Wow, you have to wonder if these mentally disturbed moms who give their kids fake cancer ever think these things through. What exactly are they going to say to people when the kid doesn't die?!

As someone who has watched a 7-year-old relative REALLY die of cancer, I find these stories so offensive. I get that the moms (why is it always moms?) have deep-seated issues, but if they actually had to for one day watch their child ACTUALLY go through cancer treatment, and actually ask about dying, and actually look at the fear and confusion in his or her eyes -- would they understand this is nothing to pretend?? I really don't know. Some people are that screwed up.

The poor little girl thought she was dying. And so did the woman's husband and the girl's siblings. No family should be put through this deliberately.

Slauson apparently took it another step further too -- feeding her child cannibis oil that she didn't need -- and even going so far as to post a picture of her sucking on a cannibis oil pipe on Facebook.  She must have been so thrilled that she got some "likes" out of that.

The mom has been arrested, and the children are now in the care of their dad, who is said to be trying to figure out his next step. I hope it's to keep his children away from their mom for a long time, because she needs serious help.

What do you think should happen to this mom?

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 11:06 PM
She sucks at life. Her poor dd must be so confused :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Shame on her,
Sad :(

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:17 AM
I will never understand taking from children who really are terminally I'll. I will also never understand halfway "wishing" you had a terminally I'll child . :-(

These cases should be treated with a more serious punishment than they are.

This child was made to BELIEVE she was sick. How cruel to her , siblings, family, and her community..
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:46 AM

I hope they file every charge they can on this woman.  What she did was unacceptable.  My goodness, making her own child think she was dying.  She needs psychological counseling while she is serving jail time. 

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 2:23 AM

That is absolutely terrible!!

Manic_Sinner
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 2:24 AM
She should feel ashamed.
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:58 AM
These situations are so difficult. You have to think there is some deep seated mental illness to have someone doing stuff like this to their child... But it's awful and shameful. Certainly she should not have unsupervised access to any of the kids anymore. I don't know if it would be possible for her to pay back the donations, but I think she should be liable for that in some way as well.
othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM

She needs to go to jail and she needs to lose custody

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: These situations are so difficult. You have to think there is some deep seated mental illness to have someone doing stuff like this to their child... But it's awful and shameful. Certainly she should not have unsupervised access to any of the kids anymore. I don't know if it would be possible for her to pay back the donations, but I think she should be liable for that in some way as well.

Yes she should have to try to pay back the money

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:12 PM

It seems like the kind of thing that might be really logistically difficult to work out. She could also have to give to a legitimate community charity for the amount that can't be traced back to certain people, maybe.

Quoting othermom:

Quoting SarahSuzyQ: These situations are so difficult. You have to think there is some deep seated mental illness to have someone doing stuff like this to their child... But it's awful and shameful. Certainly she should not have unsupervised access to any of the kids anymore. I don't know if it would be possible for her to pay back the donations, but I think she should be liable for that in some way as well.

Yes she should have to try to pay back the money

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)