Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Back to School Means Back to Dealing With The School Drop Off/Pick Up Fun!

By YvonneMarieV on Aug. 28, 2014 at 3:50 PM

When I think of "back to school" I think of things like shopping for new clothes and supplies, getting my kids back into a school routine for homework and studying. I think of hectic mornings and stressful evenings (because homework!)  But one thing I always forget about until we are actually back at school? The Student Drop Off/Pick Up Line.

I never had to deal with this when my boys were in elementary school. They wanted to take the bus to school and home every day and I let them.  Due to budget cuts and the fact that we live too close to the school, the bus is not an option for my daughter. So, every day I have to get in the car, drive her to school and deal with the mess in the parking lot. And every afternoon, I get to drive back and do it again.

The parking lot at my daughter's school consists of one parking lot in the front that is staff only parking and then one driveway that goes along the front of the school. The way it's designed is that if you are dropping your child off, you drive along to the front of the school, let your child out of the car and drive away.  For those who don't want to simply drop off, there is a ton of street parking so you can park your car and walk your kid to the front of the school.  It's a simple system that works if everyone follows the rules. But of course, not everyone follows the rules.

There's  the parent who puts their car in park instead of just dropping of their kid,  holding up the entire line of cars behind them.

There's the parent who is in a hurry, gets annoyed that they have to wait in the slow moving line on the street, so they try to speed around the cars putting people crossing the street in danger.

There's the parent who doesn't want to have to drive down the street to make a u-turn so decides to do a 3 point turn in the middle of the street, but it ends up being more like a 16 point turn because there is so little room with all of the cars parked along the street.

Those are just a few of the Drop Off/Pick Up Line Trouble Makers.

I  try to get to school at least 15 minutes before it starts/ends (as opposed to 5 minutes before) to avoid the people who are rushing to get their kid to school on time. I do my best to follow the rules,  to be courteous of the other parents and students and to smile as much as possible, to not not shout out ALL OF THE CUSSWORDS  and stay focused on my goal, which is getting my daughter to school and from school safely.

What has your experience been like with the school drop off/pick up line?  

YvonneMarieV About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • lizzig
  • by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM
  •  this is the first year i've ever had to deal with it.  i work at the elementary school so the kids simple go to school with me.  my daughter started middle school this year & i hardshipped her to the other middle school our elementary school splits into (i wasn't keen on the one we were districted for)  she still goes to school with me in the am & the last bus to drop off at the school picks up the staff kids to take them to the middle school so i only have to deal with pick up.  the first week was horrible with the line out to the turn lane on the road.  i was even getting there 15min before school let out.  i was almost regretting my decision to send her to that school.  but last week & this week have been a breeze.  i've even gotten to the school a few minutes before dismissal & was only a few cars back in line.  hope it doesn't go back to what it was the first week of school!

• Quote Reply
  • SweetLuci
  • by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:27 PM
  •  Because of new school security measures, you have to have a name and number on a card thing they give you that you put in the windshield, and then they call your child to come out of the "safety area". It's a real pain.

• Quote Reply
  • hugss
  • by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:04 AM
  • It's different now then when my kids were in school,
    Definitely smart to be there 15 minutes ahead of time like that ;)

• Quote Reply
  • LaniBee
  • by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 9:38 AM
  • My DD takes the bus this year, but next year when she goes to the high school, we will be back in line! I am really not looking forward to it. It's especially crazy because the car loop goes through the senior parking lot and you never know what those kids are going to do! We managed with our younger DD until she was a Junior and started driving herself (there's a separate jr. parking lot off campus), so I'm sure we'll fall into the same routine quickly and easily! 

• Quote Reply
  • NicLof2
  • by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:07 AM
  • The school up the road is on the corner of the main intersection for the neighborhood and there's no room at the school for the cars picking up so they block the road and intersection. It's best to stay away in the afternoon.
  • Quote Reply
  • delanna6two
  • by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM
  •  dh can't stand it either....pick up lines are so long....you have to get there extra early to be anywhere near the front.

Quoting Janet:

That is why my kids ride the bus. I hate that line!

psychedelic gif photo kaleidoscope32.gif

• Quote Reply
  • Janet
  • by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  •  Where is the like button?

Quoting delanna6two:

dh can't stand it either....pick up lines are so long....you have to get there extra early to be anywhere near the front.

Quoting Janet:

That is why my kids ride the bus. I hate that line!

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN