Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

School Permission Slip Warns Mom Her Son Might Die

Cafe MichelleP
Football, football and more football. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Yesterday at 9:09 PM
Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:46 PM
  • 15 Replies

School Permission Slip Warns Mom Her Son Might Die on Movie Night (PHOTO)

by Jodi Meltzer

Back to school means back to rifling through your kids' backpacks for crumpled up permission slips. They're usually no-brainers. Just sign, zip them back up in the bag, and call it a day. Easy peasy. The hardest thing about them is making them look presentable again.

But what if you received a permission slip asking you to sign off on the possibility of your child's untimely death or serious injury? A mom was faced with that dilemma when she got the craziest permission slip you have ever seen. Check it out:

Okay, we've gotten used to parenting on edge to a degree. As moms, we have a keen sense of smell that sniffs out trouble (or the kid who faked taking his shower). We protect and serve ... that's just how we roll. But contemplating death and serious injury for a school activity? Isn't that a bit much?

Christie Heltzell, the mom who received the permission slip, took it in stride. She told The Stir:

So, is there some new sport called 'Extreme Movie Watching'? Otherwise, I am kind of laughing at the disclaimer here.

It is funny. Maybe school administrators are modeling their permission slips on the main character of the movie: Blu. He's a nervous nelly type of bird who is so domesticated he wears a fanny pack, relies on a GPS for directions, and struggles to learn to fly. 

Yeah, the only excuse for this permission slip must be life imitating art. Because any other explanation -- sniffing too much glue, maybe? -- is ridiculously insane.

What would you do if you received this permission slip from your child's school?

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM
I would cross of that part and send it back
jewels.unicorn
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:01 PM

All of the permission slips I've ever received from the school for my kids (and we're talking 10 yrs of schooling now) have had that warning: Injuries include tripping, falling, scrapes, bruises, serious injuries may include death.

These have been on all slips, ranging from a walk across the street to the park to school bus trips to another city.

The school does not want to be held liable for your child's death - they want that onus on you!

It is scary, but I've dealt with it for years. We laughed it off at first too and when the kids got upset about it, I mentioned, well, what would happen if you walked out into the middle of traffic if you forgot to look? "I could get hit and die?", So what's the difference with a school trip? "Not much I guess, same thing really"...

Scary, but true!

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I know that the school district always tries to slip a release from liability in.  However, I heard at the district where I worked at last, that parents will try to sue regardless if there child is injured on a field trip.  Although they sign it, they always find an attorney willing to say that it was the lack of supervision from staff that caused it or something along that line.  I would still sign the permission slip because I wouldn't want my child to miss out on the opportunity, however, if my child is driven by private car instead of bus, I would have to insist on being a driver.  I wouldn't want to release the district from liability if my child is assigned to a parent who I don't know, to drive my child. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:01 AM

School definitely protecting themselves :)

melliburger
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:50 AM

The school has to protect themselves somehow. Accidents happen.

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM
I agree

Quoting melliburger:

The school has to protect themselves somehow. Accidents happen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:45 PM
I think this is pretty standard language...
melindabelcher
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Yah i would cross it off as well.

Thank goodness we homeschool :)

michiganmom116
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM

This is standard on a permission slip.  Covers the school's liability.

Alexsi1
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I guess it's for liability reasons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)