Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

advice

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hey everybody I need advice my daughter is a almost 15 months old. We have a dog she loves her dog. Our dog is a good, nice dog. He will lick everybody. It just that my daughter is starting to pull on our dogs ears to make him whine. I'm just scared that if he gets posses off he might bite her. What could I do so my daughter doesn't pull our dog's ears? Help me plz?
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Take her hands away from the dog, tell her no, and separate her each time it happens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Never leave them alone together. Pay extra close attention when they interact and read her actions so you can be proactive to redirect her to a gentle, positive way of treating the dog each and every time she shows signs of being hurtful.
jessnhayley
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM
Thank you. That is what I do every time. But she still isn't listening. She just started doing this recently.

Quoting booaura: Take her hands away from the dog, tell her no, and separate her each time it happens.
jessnhayley
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I never leave my daughter alone. We're in a one bedroom apartment. I just think she doesn't know her own strength towards the dog. Our dog has never bitten anybody since I've had him. He licks everybody.

Quoting Roo1234: Never leave them alone together. Pay extra close attention when they interact and read her actions so you can be proactive to redirect her to a gentle, positive way of treating the dog each and every time she shows signs of being hurtful.
Roo1234
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Of course, i just always start with that when talking about kids and animals because we knew someone who "never left their child and dog alone together" but while she was using the bathroom one day the child came up and hit the dog with a toy and the dog snapped (not bit) at the child. She could hear it all happening, but since she wasn't in the same room and it was onlu "long enough so she could pee" she didn't think anything would happen

Quoting jessnhayley: I never leave my daughter alone. We're in a one bedroom apartment. I just think she doesn't know her own strength towards the dog. Our dog has never bitten anybody since I've had him. He licks everybody.
Quoting Roo1234: Never leave them alone together. Pay extra close attention when they interact and read her actions so you can be proactive to redirect her to a gentle, positive way of treating the dog each and every time she shows signs of being hurtful.
momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 6:16 PM

It's hard at this age but my suggestion is to continue working with her on understanding what gentle is.  When you pet the dog, you can use the word gentle so she understands.  If she is constantly doing it, I would probably keep the dog in one room and the baby in the other until she understands that she is hurting the dog. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:24 PM
When it came to safety line that a stern NO ir sound like a a a aking with a little slap on the hand worked with my kids when the cats or electrical outlets.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Aww I agree with the others,
Make sure she knows when she is not treating the pup nicely & definitely tell her no & separate them
Good luck & let us know if it gets any better ;)

jessnhayley
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Yeah thank you. I keep telling her to be gentle n tell her no. I will let you know if anything changes. Thank you for the advice

Quoting hugss:

Aww I agree with the others,Make sure she knows when she is not treating the pup nicely & definitely tell her no & separate themGood luck & let us know if it gets any better ;)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM

What kind of dog is it?

Quoting jessnhayley: Yeah thank you. I keep telling her to be gentle n tell her no. I will let you know if anything changes. Thank you for the advice
Quoting hugss:

Aww I agree with the others,Make sure she knows when she is not treating the pup nicely & definitely tell her no & separate themGood luck & let us know if it gets any better ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)