Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Back To School Lunches Made Easy

By AngellaD on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Way back in June, when the school year was ending, I saw numerous statuses (and posted one myself) about how summer break meant no! More! Packing! School! Lunches! We came together as a community to celebrate the (temporary) end of this daily chore.

(What is it about packing school lunches that makes it such a hated task? We'll never really know.)

Packing school lunches doesn't have to break you, though. Here's what I do to make them less painful:

1. Pack them the night before. Whenever I've left packing school lunches until morning, I've always regretted it. Always. Mornngs are hectic enough without throwing in packing lunches for three kids. Or even one kid. On Sundays, I pack lunches for Monday as I'm making Sunday lunch. Two birds, one stone.

2. Buy a great lunch box. I buy my kids insulated lunch kits so that the cooler items in their lunch stay fresh.

3. Buy good containers. Having reusable containers that fit all of the lunch items (and into the lunch kit) reduces your impact on the environment and means you won't be fighting with cling wrap or using a lot of plastic bags.

4. Chop up a bunch of veggies in advance. If you spend a bit of time chopping up a bunch of veggies and put them in a container, it's much easier to grab them and pack them instead of hauling out the cutting board each and every day. (This helps you pack your lunches too, Mom and Dad.)

5. Get your kids to help. My youngest hasn't mastered the art of spreading peanut butter without tearing the bread, so I make sandwiches and my kids help with packing the rest of the items. 

Do you have any tips for making school lunches easier?

AngellaD About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • RobynS
  • by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:26 PM
  • We use Goodbyn lunch boxes (each compartment seals separately--no need for baggies!).

• Quote Reply
  • goddess99
  • by Michelle on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM
  • My dd only brings lunch to summer camp. I always washed and bagged apples and bagged crackers so they were easy to grab. I also packed a paper plate (folded 4 ways), a napkin, and spoon (for pudding) in a sandwich bag so everything was easy and ready to go in the morning.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)