Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctor says it mono but I am still concerned.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 5 year old was sick with a flu-like symptoms in the begining of July for about 10 days. Besides cough, fever she was very tired, pale and complained of bone/join pain and bellyache. Beginning of August the symptoms came back for another 10 days. We did blood work and doctor said it was mono and not to worry. Yesterday her symptom came back, I got a call from school to pick her up. Very low grade fever, join/bone pain, headache, bellyache, loss of appetide and very pale and tired. Last blood work showed her WBC were elevated and she was anemic. I am concerned that there may be something serious that the doctor could not know without doing more tests. 

Would you be concern?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
texasgirl77
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:35 PM
I can't help much, my first thought was maybe something like west Nile or Lyme. I'm not sure that those are symptoms of those illnesses exactly. My son had mono when he was 10, it lasted a few days for the major symptoms, a few week of being very tired, and then was gone for good. I'm not sure if it can come back like what your child has. Good luck to you, I hope you get the answers you need!
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:07 AM

My ds had mono when he was in 1st grade ..
No recall on jaw pain or stomach pain

If I were you I might get a 2nd opinion ..
Higs to you & hope she feels better soon :)

michiganmom116
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 6:32 AM

I would be concerned,definitely, and would get a second opinion.

Hannahsmommy816
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 7:34 AM

flu? strep?

bhow
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Get the "western blot" test for Lyme disease.  Our daughter had many of these same symptoms many times before she was properly diagnosed.  They will give him anti biotics.  It will never go away completely but after anti biotics symptoms will reduce AND he may NEVER have another flair up but also can.  DD suffered for 7 yrs before we pin pointed it.  Certainly won't hurt anything.  If doctor says it Can't be lyme ... bullshit!   Our neighbor was in a wheel chair for 9 yrs before he Finally got a doctor to listen to him, damn near lost everything he had worked for.  Now he is fine for the most part.

kinshipcaremama
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM
My DS had mono in middle school. He was sick for months. Tired, pale, extreme weight loss, etc. it was so bad I thought he was dying! He did get through it but it was a long hard road. Some kids have a harder te than most. Try lots of rest, a super healthy diet and plenty of snuggles.
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Mono is pretty serious from what I've heard, DH had it when he was a kid and it kept him out of school for weeks. A friend of mine had it about 20 years ago and had to drop out of college and move back home, he was too sick. A friend of ours had it last year and same thing, she was out of work for weeks.

Yeah, I would be concerned.

sonshining
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Well, when I had mono, those were the symptoms I had, fatigue, aches, I was like..."flu?" And was actually glad when I was diagnosed, cause it lasted weeks and I was getting stressed over why it wasn't going away. Did they prescribe antibiotics? It will go away after several weeks but if it doesn't, seek further tests.

melindabelcher
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I would get a second opinion. 

Alexsi1
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I would get a second opinion. Is there a children's hospital in your area?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)