Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

50 Most Powerful Moms of 2014

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

With everything we're charged to do on a day-to-day basis, all working mothers are innately powerful. But some inspire us to keep striving for bigger and better. We think you’ll agree this year's crop of power moms from around the globe have demonstrated the talent, business acumen, innovative spirit and sheer guts to make a formidable impact on the world in so many compelling ways.

* Denotes new to the list this year

http://www.workingmother.com/content/50-most-powerful-moms-2014

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Christina Aguilera *

[Entertainment/Literature]
Singer, Actress, The Voice Coach, Humanitarian
Children: Max, 6, one on the way (a girl!)

Undoubtedly one of the most gifted vocalists of our time, Christina's music spans many genres and has garnered a spate of awards, including four Grammys and numerous MTV, ALMA and BMI awards, among others. She first garnered attention as a child, appearing on Star Search and The Mickey Mouse Club; her first album, released in 1999, spawned three No. 1 singles. Christina's current hit, Say Something, with A Great Big World, still looms high on the charts after climbing to the top months ago. But this mama is far more than a vocal diva. As Ambassador Against Hunger for the World Food Programme and other hunger-relief agencies. she's helped raise $22 million for the cause. Even with all this pull, however, she experiences the same parenting anxieties we all do. When son Max started a new school last year, she told Jay Leno: "It was like my first day going back to school. Are the other parents going to like me?"

Vertical15

Angela Ahrendts

[Tech/Science]
Senior Vice President of Retail and Online Stores, Apple
Children: Jennings, 18, Sommer, 17, and Angelina, 13

Angela just joined Apple, but has always been a fan of the brand-she told the Wall Street Journal in 2010 that she looked to the company as a business model to emulate. Her new position requires her to oversee the strategic direction, expansion and operation of Apple's robust retail operations. It's a great fit, as Angela has a lot of experience making a legacy brand better. Named CEO of Burberry in 2006, she played an instrumental role in transforming the company from stodgy trench-coat purveyor into an award-winning fresh luxury brand. Angela strongly believes in building a culture of empathy and trust. She told Fast Company, "I know it might sound weird, but empathy is one of the greatest creators of energy. It's counterintuitive, because it's selfless." We have no doubt this empathy will drive her toward great success in her new gig.

Vertical15

Christiane Amanpour

[News/Advertising]
Chief International Correspondent, CNN
Children: Darius, 14

British Iranian Christiane is one of the world's most highly respected journalists, having earned every prestigious award in her profession. She's often called upon to cover the world's most significant events and go toe-to-toe with top leaders. As CNN's chief international correspondent and anchor of Amanpour, a nightly foreign affairs program on CNN International, she also moonlights as the global affairs anchor for ABC News. The summa cum laude graduate journalism student from the University of Rhode Island worked her way up from entry-level assistant at CNN's assignment desk. She frequently campaigns to free captive journalists in the Middle East but admits she didn't think twice about going into war zones until she had her son. She told the Harvard Business Review: "I said I was going to take my child on the road with me. And I would dress him up in Kevlar diapers and get a mini-bulletproof vest, all that kind of funny stuff that. When people ask you how you're going to continue your career, you just give glib answers. I still go to those places. Even though I do, I calibrate what I do and how long I stay more carefully than I did before I was a mother."

Vertical15
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Mary Barra

[Retail/Manufacturing]
CEO, General Motors

Children: Son, 17, daughter, 15

Power requires strength through adversity, and Mary is in the midst of accessing her reserves. Currently under fire for a GM faulty ignition switch scandal that led to a recall of 2.6 million cars, GM's first female CEO (since early this year) knows cars: Mary's been at the company for 33 years, and her dad spent 39 years as a die maker at Pontiac. Starting off as an 18-year-old co-op student at the Pontiac Motor division of General Motors Institute (now Kettering University), she earned a degree in electrical engineering and an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. She's been responsible for the design, engineering, program management and quality of GM cars all over the world since 2011, and she's on the Executive Operations Committee and on the Adam Opel AG Supervisory Board. This mom of two has definitely worked past gender issues to thrive in a largely-male-driven industry. Said former boss Daniel Akerson, "Mary was picked for her talent, not her gender."

Vertical15
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Dana Bash *

[News/Advertising]
Anchor and Chief Congressional Correspondent, CNN

Children: Jonah, 3

They say that knowledge is power, and Dana wields it well with an insider's access to world leaders that few others possess. She worked her way up the CNN ladder from a stint as freelancer 20 years ago, today covering all things U.S. Senate and House for the network. Winner of the prestigious Dirksen Award from the National Press Foundation for her work as chief correspondent since December 2008, she's interviewed the world's foremost decision makers and covered significant world events like the Iraq war. Her passion for news must be genetic-Dad was an ABC news producer. Dana graduated cum laude with a bachelor's degree in political communications from George Washington University. Of women in broadcast journalism, she told Aspire magazine: "If you're a woman, you're under so much scrutiny if your hair is sticking out...all you can do is try not to take that stuff personally."

Vertical15
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Beyoncé

Singer, Actress, Mogul
Children: Blue Ivy, 2

Queen Bey made our list again because she's got the music biz on lock! Married to music mogul Jay-Z, this Grammy-winning mom's latest "visual album," Beyoncé, made marriage and motherhood so sexy it sold half a million copies in the first 24 hours of its release. What's more, she just wrapped her Mrs. Carter Show World Tour, earning $188.6 million for her booty-busting moves. So what's next? While gracing this month's cover of Out, she strongly advocates for equality in its pages: "There is a double standard when it comes to sexuality that still persists. Men are free and women are not. The old lessons of submissiveness and fragility made us victims. Women are so much more than that. You can be a businesswoman, a mother, an artist and a feminist-whatever you want to be-and still be a sexual being. It's not mutually exclusive."

Vertical15
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Sara Blakely

[Fashion/Tastemakers]
Founder, Spanx; Philanthropist
Children: Lazer, 5 

After cutting the feet off her tights to smooth panty lines, Sara launched Spanx and in 10 years turned $5,000 and her idea into a billion dollar company. How'd the former fax machine saleswoman do it? Pluck, gumption and determination to learn, as she told CNBC: "What you don't know can become your greatest asset if you'll let it and if you have the confidence to say, I'm going to do it anyway even though I haven't been taught or somebody hasn't shown me the way." To help women, she established the Sara Blakely Foundation and signed the Giving Pledge, an initiative by Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffet, to motivate the nation's wealthiest to donate half of their wealth to charitable causes. Of the complexities involving the work life balance with her 5-year-old, she told ABC News: "I block off chunks of my day that are dedicated to Mom and chunks of my day that are dedicated to work. And that has really calmed my thinking down and made me feel less anxious."

Vertical15

Cate Blanchett *

Actress, Theater Artistic Director

Children: Dashiell, 11, Roman, 8, and Ignatius, 4 

Fresh off a best actress Academy Award for her performance in Blue Jasmine, Cate has firmly established herself as the current top chameleon of stage and screen, having earned numerous awards for such diverse roles as Queen Elizabeth, Bob Dylan and Katharine Hepburn (which earned her a best supporting actress Oscar). In 1992, the graduate of the National Institute of Dramatic Art was snapped up by the Sydney Theater Company and lauded for her roles in The Seagull and The Tempest before conquering the U.K. and the U.S. with her formidable talent. Cate is currently filming Carol with Rooney Mara and awaiting the release of the JFK thriller Blackbird. She's married to screenwriter Andrew Upton, with whom she is joint artistic director of the Sydney Theater Company. Of balancing her hectic work schedule with raising their sons, she told the Herald Scotland: "They're not interested whether you're playing Lady Macbeth or Jasmine French or Hamlet. They just want their dinner and for you to do their homework with them." 

Vertical15

Rosalind Brewer

[Retail/Manufacturing]
President and CEO, Sam's Club/Walmart
Children: one son, one daughter

Rosalind is the first woman and first African American to become CEO at Sam's Club. No wonder she was cited by Fortune as one of the 50 Most Powerful Women in Business for the past four years, though she had to cut 2,300 middle management jobs early this year to streamline operations. She launched her career as an organic chemist at Kimberly-Clark, where she worked for more than 20 years, rising to president of the nonwoven fabrics business. Roz holds a bachelor's degree from Spelman College and also graduated from Director's College at the University of Chicago School of Business/Stanford School of Law. When Capital Style asked how she juggles raising children with work, she said, "I have to prioritize. It takes almost every day to do that though. And learning how to say no. That I still fight with. Every now and then, my heart gets in the way and I can't help it."

Vertical15
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Victoria Beckham *

[Fashion/Tastemakers]
Fashion Designer, Singer
Children: Brooklyn, 15, Romeo, 11, Cruz, 9, and Harper, 2

It's been just six years since the former Spice Girl launched her namesake brand, and this workhorse mama has since been zooming down the fashion fast track. Married to soccer superstar David Beckham for 15 years and a mom of four, Beckham's form-flattering dresses have, according to Forbes, earned more than $40 million in sales annually-growing at a double-digit rate. Her rabid following is comprised of Hollywood darlings like Amy Adams, Gwyneth Paltrow and Blake Lively. Having squashed any hope for a Spice Girls reunion, Victoria recently told Allure she couldn't have achieved all she has as a designer without putting in the time and elbow grease: "I got there in the end because I did believe that if you work hard enough, then you can achieve a lot." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)