Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be concerned? Cross post

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

DD is in kindergarten, and is all about having fun. When she doesn't listen, 99% of the time it's because she wanted to have fun, and she was bored. This morning, she said she didn't want to go to college because she wants to have fun.

Should I be concerned? I was hoping starting school would be a great time for all of us, but it's proving to be anything but :( how can I change her attitude towards school? 

Tonight I asked what she finds fun about school, and she said recess. When I asked what she found fun IN the classroom, she said inside recess. I asked if she finds learning fun, she said no it's boring. I asked her if she found it boring because it was too difficult, and she said yes. She is really, really struggling with reading/phonics. She does great with letters and their sounds individually, but putting them together is such a struggle for her, and she gets easiliy frustrated with herself. Could this be effecting her whole outlook on school? 

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeachLifeMama
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm somewhat having the same issue with my 8y/o. It freaks me out too, but I try not to stress me out. All I can do is keep encouraging her and have good talk. Here's a bump, good luck.
hillmom
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like she just isn't ready. Pushing can kill love of learning before it even starts.
momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you getting any concerning notes from the teacher?  Do they do a behavior chart in her class so she can be rewarded when she is on track?  I think at this age, she is still learning the skills   Since she can recognize letters and sounds individually, that is a good start.  If she can make progress then that's good.  If you want to help her, you can take post its and write names on objects in your house so she can be exposed to different words.  Then when you ask her for something, you can have her spell it or sound it out.  You can play fun games, I do that with my 4 yr old in the car.  I say a name and sound it out and she guesses the letters.  She can spell simple words like stop, go, cat etc.  We just do it for fun. 

My DD wants to be a dancer right now and that's ok, we tell her that she needs to work hard and that is what counts.  I think helping her develop a good work ethic will help her in life and when she completes something, recognize her efforts.  Help her set a goal and if she reaches it, then she can go somewhere fun. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

School is fuin .. Is she having fun learning?
Ask herwhat hse learned eachedday ..

whoodathunk
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you working with her on her phonics at home?  My girlfriend used to complain that her son struggled, but she never read with him.  Read with your daughter and make reading fun.  Pick fun and easy books that she can master (even if just memorizing).  Once she feels success, it will become more fun.  

She's only in kindergarden...a big part of her day is learning how to sit still, be quiet and follow directions.  I'd give her a little time and just be positive without pushing.  Definitely read EVERY day!  Pick out one or two words in the book that she knows (I used to love to have my son just read "a" and "the") and read together.  It's fun to have 2 books so that she learns to really follow along.  Good luck!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:21 AM

That is absolutely normal for her age, but I would hope that there would still be some active learning going on in her classroom!  It could (and probably is) definitely coloring her view of school.  Kids, especially young ones, need to have success in order to want to learn more, and to feel confident and able. 

Can you work with her at home?  Read to her, read with her, have her point out letters (or words if she is there), talk about the sounds they make.  It sounds like she needs some kinesthetic connection to make the words and sounds go together.  You can collect a butter tub or rubbermaid container of tiny toys or objects for each letter/sound, so she understands the sound that letter makes when she holds the object in her hands and names it.  You could also make a scrapbook with pictures (magazine or newspaper photos work well) of places or products (or people) she is familiar with, under the letter that the name starts with (McDonald's under M is a common one).  Then when she sees those places or things, she will connect that back and know that she knows what letter they start with and that she can "read" that name.

When you put sounds together, magnetic letters on the fridge or a cookie sheet are great tools.  She can build the words from her word family or word wall, and see how changing the ending, the beginning, or the middle sound changes the word.  Being able to physically manipulate the letters and sounds is often helpful for a child who needs to learn by touching, feeling, or doing things. 

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Really good idea.  Did this in my kindergarten classroom, and it really helps with the whole concepts of print/objects have names that you can see, write, read, etc...

Quoting momofnatalie:

Are you getting any concerning notes from the teacher?  Do they do a behavior chart in her class so she can be rewarded when she is on track?  I think at this age, she is still learning the skills   Since she can recognize letters and sounds individually, that is a good start.  If she can make progress then that's good.  If you want to help her, you can take post its and write names on objects in your house so she can be exposed to different words.  Then when you ask her for something, you can have her spell it or sound it out.  You can play fun games, I do that with my 4 yr old in the car.  I say a name and sound it out and she guesses the letters.  She can spell simple words like stop, go, cat etc.  We just do it for fun. 

My DD wants to be a dancer right now and that's ok, we tell her that she needs to work hard and that is what counts.  I think helping her develop a good work ethic will help her in life and when she completes something, recognize her efforts.  Help her set a goal and if she reaches it, then she can go somewhere fun. 

UnAmour
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Thank you all so much!! Yes we read EVERY night, I either have her help me, like read her sight words when they come across, and then sound out some words, too. Or I have her read very simple book to me (which can take up to 45 min), or both. I try to work with her as much as I can, but after about 10 minutes, or a couple pages, she gets frustrated because it's difficult and wants to stop. The drive just isn't there. I praise her when she does great, and get her going when she is struggling, but it's like she won't even try unless I start to sound out the word sometimes.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Use the simple ryming words & books that has those .. maybe she will enjoy them :)

Quoting UnAmour: Thank you all so much!! Yes we read EVERY night, I either have her help me, like read her sight words when they come across, and then sound out some words, too. Or I have her read very simple book to me (which can take up to 45 min), or both. I try to work with her as much as I can, but after about 10 minutes, or a couple pages, she gets frustrated because it's difficult and wants to stop. The drive just isn't there. I praise her when she does great, and get her going when she is struggling, but it's like she won't even try unless I start to sound out the word sometimes.

PinkEminem
by on Nov. 6, 2014 at 2:52 AM

Tell her she can have fun in college. Anyway, yes, if she has issues learning the stuff, it's definitely going to affect her outlook on school. Get her tested, or just work with her so that she feels confident.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)