Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Traditions....what are yours? Ideas please.

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 12 Replies

What are your family traditions for Thanksgiving.   I would love some ideas.  Crafts, food, games???

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

we don't do crafts or games -

parade, dinner, sometimes DH watches fooball after, that's it.

Food ; we follow his family's deal which is : Devilled eggs, cheese and crackers, olives, turkey , gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, baked beans, rolls, pumkin pie.  Sometimes I also make mac n' cheese and home made cranberry sauce.  We usually have an early dinner, and eat left overs through the weekend.

sonshining
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I love board games, when I grew up my family always played cards or board games after we ate. My husband hates board games and neither stepson likes them either. So -there went that. I tried Bingo, Uno card game, and stuff like that. Past few years the weather has been beautiful, 70's. So, we head outside, the kids play, the adults watch, we have a couple acres of walking trails and such.

hillmom
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM
We don't currently have one, other than switching off between my side and hubby's side for Thanksgiving.

I was thinking about traditions on my side. I remember old country playing in the background and a good game of Uno!
earthangel1967
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Now that our 5 kids are adults and when they were teens too, we watched the parade on tv together and if it wasn't too insanely cold outside sometimes we'd go to one in town at night all lit up too. We often rented a good comedy we believed everyone would like. We usually play some of our family party games that make us laugh (we love to laugh a lot), some of our favorites are 

Imaginiff, Apples to Apples, Crappy Birthday and Claymania and charades and spoons. 

We also love to look at old photos of when the kids were growing up and when I was a kid and growing up too and that leads to a lot of memory sharing and a lot more laughter. 

When the kids were still growing up from children thru tweens, we were all addicted to our subscription to the very awesome FAMILY FUN  MAGAZINE (they also have a free website full of ideas now too but still highly recommend the subscription as well, its low cost for a subscription and SOOO worth it) They have TONS of creative unique ideas for every season of the year and all the  holidays thru the entire year, for crafts, cool fun cute recipes and activities, games, costumes, parties, vacations and gifts and soooo much more. If I ever have grandkids someday I will be subscribing again. You can find it on your local newstands usually with other magazines and at major bookstores and online and  many local libraries carry it too. You can count on them for all kinds of super fun cool things to do for thanksgiving and xmas and any other special occasion and even for making otherwise ordinary days into something special and memorable! 

Their website for thanksgiving is: 

make sure you scroll all the way to bottom of the page for most ideas but know there are always more in the magazines and in the magazines they are always new and fresh each year too. 

http://www.parents.com/holiday/thanksgiving/

View Full Size Image YVONNE

Whereismymind
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Not really
Vertical15
by on Nov. 26, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I have started a new tradition all my own of running a 5k in the morning.  I should be sleeping now. . .

We don't have any other set traditions.  Last year kinda ended badly with family so hopefully this year is better and we can start some new traditions.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 27, 2014 at 12:09 AM

No crafts or games here,
Hope others have some ideas for you :)

jayluv629
by on Nov. 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Watching all the National Lampoon movies and making homemade eggnog! 

CampClan
by Member on Nov. 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine is to always put the Christmas tree up on Turkey Day. Even if the kids are with their dad that year, I get the stuff out & put the tree up but then wait for them to come home & decorate it. While they are gone I bake cookies (we bake together if it's my year). I also always make them cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Just something I have done for forever!

redheadtmk
by on Nov. 28, 2014 at 10:12 PM

We do this either the night before or close to bed time on turkey day. We watch Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving special and eat a small plate of pretzels, popcorn, toast, and jelly beans like they have for dinner in the cartoon. Just a little bit of each. the kids love it almost as much as I do!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)