Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gift for an 18 year old ... ?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:44 AM
  • 12 Replies

So my niece is turning 18 this spring and my husband and I are racking our brains on what to get her for her big birthday.

She came and lived with us for 3 weeks last summer and we had a blast with her.  I wish I had the money to buy her a plane ticket so we could repeat the experience this year but it's not possible ... anyone has suggestions on a cool, original, sand omewhat memorable birthday gift for a young lady who's turning 18 ?

by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShyShyne
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:25 PM

What is she into?? Jewelry? Spa Day? A Bag?

18... what would I want ---hmmm tattoo gift cert? dinner gift cert, maybe for her and a couple friends? Clothes? Shoes? or simply just ask here what she wants... no one knows better than her!

Good Luck

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM

I know she won't know what to say if I ask her point blank.  I think my SIL would kill me if I gave my niece a gift certificate for a tattoo plus I don't think she wants a tattoo.  I don't know I was hoping for something a little out of the ordinary since she's turning 18 ...

Quoting ShyShyne:

What is she into?? Jewelry? Spa Day? A Bag?

18... what would I want ---hmmm tattoo gift cert? dinner gift cert, maybe for her and a couple friends? Clothes? Shoes? or simply just ask here what she wants... no one knows better than her!

Good Luck

clairewait
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this

All I wanted at 18 was money.

Honestly, even the most thoughtful and personal and AWESOME gifts were trumped by the aunt who just stuffed some cash in an envelope every year. She's still my favorite.

Claire Wait
(Happy Wife and Mother of Four) 

Lower Your Grocery Budget Without Using Coupons

Clubpenguin
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Memorable gifts.com or things remembered.com. They have really nice gifts with engraving. I got my ds a valet box for his dresser. It said happy 21st birthday. Love mom and dad.

suetoo
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Tickets to a concert? 

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Oh I'm already her favorite aunt !! LOL  I really really wish I had the money to buy her a plane ticket again this year but it's not looking good right now.  Maybe we will send her some money in hopes that it can cover a partial plane ticket ?

Quoting clairewait:

All I wanted at 18 was money.

Honestly, even the most thoughtful and personal and AWESOME gifts were trumped by the aunt who just stuffed some cash in an envelope every year. She's still my favorite.

sonshining
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Well, tech items though they can be pricey. What about the beats headphones> I got my dh a pair on Groupon. Do you know her size and style, get her clothes.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM

I do not feel confident enough to shop for her.  I took her shopping last summer when she stayed with us, she's a picky little thing !

Quoting sonshining:

Well, tech items though they can be pricey. What about the beats headphones> I got my dh a pair on Groupon. Do you know her size and style, get her clothes.

DrunkenFaeGirl
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I wanted cash at that age.  It's not memorable but often needed and appreciated. 

jky_67
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
a Visa, Amex or MC gift certificate so she can spend it however she wants. Like everyone says, it's not memorable but we all want money. Include it with a nice personalized necklace (from a jeweler not costume jewelry).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)