Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with 6 month old

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:55 AM
  • 17 Replies

My son is almost 6 months old. He has been sleeping horribly. He goes to bed at 8 and sleeps till 11, and then after that he wakes up every. single. hour till 6am. after 6 he will sleep till 8 or 9. Because of this he is extremely cranky during the day. He takes 3 naps a day and takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours naps. However he is still extremely tired all day because he isn't getting the sleep he needs. 

I know he isn't hungry because if I offer him a bottle he drinks a few sips and then falls back asleep. but a lot of the time its the only to get him to go back to sleep. Part of it is that he keeps rolling over onto his back and then wakes up crying. (yes He sleeps on his tummy. He will not sleep on his back, he hates it) or he wakes up because he is stuck in the corner of his crib. He is very restless at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am so tired all the time and DH usually watches DS during the day because I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open. 

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SavanaAshleigh
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:31 PM
Bump!
WaterorWine
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:36 PM
White noise? Co sleep? Could he be hot/cold? Teething?
wbattistel2007
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:37 PM
Try one nap a day he should be sleeping through the night at his age so that you can too. Keep him active and engaged during the day minus nap time. A nice bedtime ritual would be a warm bath with some night time baby wash, a story, a warm bottle with a little cereal and some cuddling. Good luck!
midema
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been told it could be an age/milestone thing... My son is 7 months and his sleep schedule is crazy all of a sudden.
He won't nap... And he's been up until 3 am... And sleeps until 12pm...
SavanaAshleigh
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM
He was sleeping through te night and then he stopped. He is teething but he just popped a tooth through. For bed time I give him and bath then a warm bottle, he usually falls asleep drinking it. Today I tried 2 naps and it really tired him out. So I'm hoping he will sleep better tonight. We will see. I haven't tried the cereal in the bottle though. I will give that a shot.

Quoting wbattistel2007: Try one nap a day he should be sleeping through the night at his age so that you can too. Keep him active and engaged during the day minus nap time. A nice bedtime ritual would be a warm bath with some night time baby wash, a story, a warm bottle with a little cereal and some cuddling. Good luck!
DMB41
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:50 PM

Could he be having difficulty breathing? Have you talked to your pediatrician? Is it just his crib? Maybe mattress is too firm or soft? (I'm just brainstorming ideas.) Maybe he's gassy? I have my 3 month old on similac for fussiness and gas. Orange and white container. She was miserable on the soy. I even tried alimentum. 

My 3 month old hates her co sleeper. She only sleeps soundly on my chest and it's killing my night's sleep because I'm so terrified I'd roll on her so I nap sitting up all night.  I'm so exhausted, and I'm a full time teacher so my days never end either. 

Lol I'm up for suggestions, too. I might jump on this wagon with you and seek suggestions, too. 

At what age can they start on rice cereal? Maybe it's the formula. I have a 2 1/2 year old, too, but I don't remember having this issue with him, and I can't remember when he started on rice cereal. 

wbattistel2007
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:54 PM
Do you burp him after a bedtime feeding? Gas could be a factor it is really painful for little babies. Teething is terrible! I used baby Orajel and that was all I could do to help at night.

Quoting SavanaAshleigh: He was sleeping through te night and then he stopped. He is teething but he just popped a tooth through. For bed time I give him and bath then a warm bottle, he usually falls asleep drinking it. Today I tried 2 naps and it really tired him out. So I'm hoping he will sleep better tonight. We will see. I haven't tried the cereal in the bottle though. I will give that a shot.

Quoting wbattistel2007: Try one nap a day he should be sleeping through the night at his age so that you can too. Keep him active and engaged during the day minus nap time. A nice bedtime ritual would be a warm bath with some night time baby wash, a story, a warm bottle with a little cereal and some cuddling. Good luck!
TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
You can teach him how to roll back to his tummy during playtime. Repeatedly. When he's on his back, take his legs and twist him to start him rolling. Roll him all the way to his tummy. When he rolls to his tummy, roll him over again. Do it frequently, as often as you can until he can do it on his own.

He may be getting too much sleep in the daytime. Try shorter naps.

He could be hitting a growth spurt. That'll throw him off too.
SavanaAshleigh
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:02 PM
Babies can be so exhausting!

Quoting midema: I've been told it could be an age/milestone thing... My son is 7 months and his sleep schedule is crazy all of a sudden.
He won't nap... And he's been up until 3 am... And sleeps until 12pm...
TexanMomOf6
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:07 PM
I don't know what the doctors say now, but when mine were little the doc said no cereal in bottles. Once they can sit up alone, start spoon feeding cereal. Use formula or breast milk with a tiny bit of cereal, just enough to be able make it the consistancy of a creamy soup.

Quoting SavanaAshleigh: He was sleeping through te night and then he stopped. He is teething but he just popped a tooth through. For bed time I give him and bath then a warm bottle, he usually falls asleep drinking it. Today I tried 2 naps and it really tired him out. So I'm hoping he will sleep better tonight. We will see. I haven't tried the cereal in the bottle though. I will give that a shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)