Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Business first .... who cares about your life

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

So my boss walks in my office a few minutes ago and tells me that one of the contractual reps we have went to Florida for a week and landed 9 new accounts.  And he wants me to do the same ; go to some random city far from home for a week and stay in hotel and land new customers. 

Well SURE ! Why not ?  By all means, never mind the fact that I have a 10 year old in school, a husband who's not DD's bio-dad, I'm on very delicate / shaky  ground with my ex-husband, I also have a dog.  I can't exactly pick up and leave for a week !!!!!!!!!  Tell DH see you in a week babe, you're on babysitting duty  while I'm away.  I also can't take off for a week and dump DD off at her father's house it's not a part of our custody agreement and I'll be damned if I ask him for a favor.  Even if I find a way to do this business trip with DH and DD in tow, have you any idea how much the boarding bill will be for my dog ?  Who's gonna foot the bill for that ?

Un-F'ing believable.  I told my boss point blank that this was easier said then done.  That he has to take into consideration that with DD there's an issue there.  This might have to wait until DD is done with school.  Also why the hell would I do this ?  It's going to cost me more money than it will bring it in the end.  I just don't know what to do about this right now ... the only thing I can think of is somehow try to combine this with a family vacation and visit DH's home state at the same time.

what would you do if you were me ??

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lapcounter
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:39 PM
My family comes first, I wouldn't go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM
Why couldn't your DH take care of DD for the week? And the dog? If her father isn't capable, isn't your DH? Just curious? Or other family and friends who can assist? I don't have much of a choice if I have to travel for work. It's go or possibly lose my job.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:28 PM

He could,  I just don't think it's fair to put him on babysitting duties for a week full time and have him deal with homework and lunches and all ... he already takes care of her every day after school.   My mom has bailed me out before for a day or 2 , but a whole week to 10 days is A LOT to put on anyone.  DD wouldn't be pleased either.  She still complains about my 4 day trip to Vegas 4 years ago..... I just hate that they put me on the spot like this and disregard my personal life

Quoting grneyedormom: Why couldn't your DH take care of DD for the week? And the dog? If her father isn't capable, isn't your DH? Just curious? Or other family and friends who can assist? I don't have much of a choice if I have to travel for work. It's go or possibly lose my job.

AngelLovingLife
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 12:23 AM
Your husband can't take care of a child? Why is the dog such an issue? Your husband can't feed and water and animal? Though I suppose if he can't care for a child, he really can't care for a dog.
Also, that's your job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Wow someone needs a nap !

Yes my husband can take care of DD, he does that every single day when she comes home from school and on fair days, and on Christmas break and summer break etc etc but it's something else to do it all by himself during the school year with homework and all that.   Him being her step-dad, I don't think it's cool to just throw this his way and tell him to tough it out.   Yes of course my husband can tend the animals, I'm just saying if we all go away together on this trip then I have to board my dog and that runs me $25 a day If I'm gone for 10 days, that's $250 out of pocket that nobody will reimburse me.  Why should it cost me money to work ??

and regarding the comment that "it's my job" it goes right back to my original point ... my family comes first, it IS my job to care for my child and I don't take that responsibilty lightly, I don't think this trip is a must ... and I hate that my boss has no respect for that. 

Quoting AngelLovingLife: Your husband can't take care of a child? Why is the dog such an issue? Your husband can't feed and water and animal? Though I suppose if he can't care for a child, he really can't care for a dog. Also, that's your job.

jky_67
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 1:57 PM
It sounds like you have a sales job. There are crapload of ways you can do sales job without leaving the office. What exactly is your job?
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 2:12 PM

I wear multiple hats for a company that I've been at for the last decade.  Ultimately yes my job is sales and account management.  There is a crap load of ways to do my job within the office and this is what I do day in, day out.  I travel for business locally.  I used to travel quite a bit before my divorce.  But since then, I've changed my tune.  I usually make 1 big business trip a year and usually I try to combine this with a family vacation.  Some of my largest accounts I've landed and upkept by phone.  My boss goes on these rants that I call his "pot philosophies"  where he thinks he has these brilliant ideas... that are most of the time, epic fails.  I told my boss point blank yesterday that if I was going to do this, it wouldn't be now.  I won't take off for a week without planning things out properly first.

Quoting jky_67: It sounds like you have a sales job. There are crapload of ways you can do sales job without leaving the office. What exactly is your job?

AngelLovingLife
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 3:49 PM
LOL! I need a nap for restating what you wrote originally?
If you're married, and this is your job, then why is it asking too much of your partner to pick up the slack? I'm confused as to why you all have to go on a business trip for YOUR job?
I'm just seeing a lot of excuses, but go for it. Whatever floats your boat.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Yes my husband can take care of DD, he does that every single day when she comes home from school and on fair days, and on Christmas break and summer break etc etc but it's something else to do it all by himself during the school year with homework and all that.   Him being her step-dad, I don't think it's cool to just throw this his way and tell him to tough it out.   Yes of course my husband can tend the animals, I'm just saying if we all go away together on this trip then I have to board my dog and that runs me $25 a day If I'm gone for 10 days, that's $250 out of pocket that nobody will reimburse me.  Why should it cost me money to work ??

and regarding the comment that "it's my job" it goes right back to my original point ... my family comes first, it IS my job to care for my child and I don't take that responsibilty lightly, I don't think this trip is a must ... and I hate that my boss has no respect for that. 

Quoting AngelLovingLife: Your husband can't take care of a child? Why is the dog such an issue? Your husband can't feed and water and animal? Though I suppose if he can't care for a child, he really can't care for a dog. Also, that's your job.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 3:55 PM

No you need a nap cause you're condescending and rude. 

Quoting AngelLovingLife: LOL! I need a nap for restating what you wrote originally? If you're married, and this is your job, then why is it asking too much of your partner to pick up the slack? I'm confused as to why you all have to go on a business trip for YOUR job? I'm just seeing a lot of excuses, but go for it. Whatever floats your boat.
Quoting Jinxed8:

AngelLovingLife
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 3:58 PM
Like I said, whatever floats your boat. If you'd rather call me names and make excuses for why you can't do your job, go for it. No skin off my back.

Have a lovely day :)

Quoting Jinxed8:

No you need a nap cause you're condescending and rude. 

Quoting AngelLovingLife: LOL! I need a nap for restating what you wrote originally? If you're married, and this is your job, then why is it asking too much of your partner to pick up the slack? I'm confused as to why you all have to go on a business trip for YOUR job? I'm just seeing a lot of excuses, but go for it. Whatever floats your boat.
Quoting Jinxed8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)