Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am I being cheap ?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM
  • 24 Replies

OK here's the deal ... I was invited to an acquaintance's baby shower which is distantly work related;  let's say I didn't really have a choice to go or at the very least buy something.   The invite stated money or baby registry only.  So I went for the baby registry. 

Bought a gift worth about $30 and shipped to the address attached to the registry. 2 weeks ago I receive an e-mail notice  that the item had been returned and I'd be credited.  I thought "Meh, say nothing" .  But then her mom calls me and says that her daughter never got the gift and she was wondering what was up with that ?  (first of all how rude !!) but I proceeded to tell her that the gift was returned (funny enough she knew exactly what I had bought even though she had "never received it")  the mom asked me to resend or pick up another one, that she was going there to visit in a few weeks. 

Irritated, I told her I'd pick up something else instead. To make a long story short, I walk in a Osh Kosh store and I see an item that just happens to be ridiculously marked down and I bought it and am calling it good. 

Am I being cheap ?

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RonaH
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope they probably returned it thinking they would get the cash. The nerve to call you like that is amazing. I would give her what you picked up and call it a day.
grneyedormom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:49 PM
Wow, entitled much? (Mom and mother-to-be.) No, you aren't being cheap. I tend to bring diapers and wipes to most showers I'm invited to.
Kay300
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this
That's ridiculous, you were very kind to give her anything after that.
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I know .!!!!!!!!.. I was floored to be honest.  Considering that I really didn't want to be involved to start off with it pisses me off when I have to spend my hard earned money on something that is dismissed or I won't even get a thank you card for ( I know because this ain't my first rodeo with them)  I though oh WTH !  Here's my chance to buy whatever I want at what ever price I want to spend and I declined the gift receipt too, that way it can't be returned ! HA

Quoting grneyedormom: Wow, entitled much? (Mom and mother-to-be.) No, you aren't being cheap. I tend to bring diapers and wipes to most showers I'm invited to.

Serabeth06
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I think it's really tacky to demand gifts for a baby shower. It's even tackier to limit people to cash or registry gifts. I wouldn't have sent anything, especially if I wasn't even attending the shower.

TCain0001
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:32 AM

That was pure tacky on their part.....their lucky you were in a generous mood and got her anything at all.  If I'd been treated like that, I'd have been a real bitch and picked up that second gift at the Salvation Army thrift shop!

lanceandhailey
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Nope, they tried to return it for cash.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:38 AM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with that train of thought.  So thank you for that.  The minute that thing happened with the return and then being asked to re-send I was like "Ah HELL no"  All along I thought I'd buy something off a liquidation rack somewhere.   

Quoting TCain0001:

That was pure tacky on their part.....their lucky you were in a generous mood and got her anything at all.  If I'd been treated like that, I'd have been a real bitch and picked up that second gift at the Salvation Army thrift shop!

grneyedormom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Well, it can, but only for a gift card! ;) What happened to people being thankful for what they receive!!

Quoting Jinxed8:

I know .!!!!!!!!.. I was floored to be honest.  Considering that I really didn't want to be involved to start off with it pisses me off when I have to spend my hard earned money on something that is dismissed or I won't even get a thank you card for ( I know because this ain't my first rodeo with them)  I though oh WTH !  Here's my chance to buy whatever I want at what ever price I want to spend and I declined the gift receipt too, that way it can't be returned ! HA

Quoting grneyedormom: Wow, entitled much? (Mom and mother-to-be.) No, you aren't being cheap. I tend to bring diapers and wipes to most showers I'm invited to.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Nope ! she'd have to figure out where I bought it first ... ;)

Quoting grneyedormom: Well, it can, but only for a gift card! ;) What happened to people being thankful for what they receive!!
Quoting Jinxed8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)