Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you do this for preschool graduation?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM
  • 18 Replies

I was just looking over the calendar for the rest of the year and found out that my DD's school does preschool graduation.

I'm not one who normally thinks anything but high school seniors need a 'graduation' ceremony, but bear with me. The ceremony is going to be held an hour away, not at the school (because it's a private school that pulls kids from all over and they try to move the graduations every year to be more fair to everyone), and it is going to be from 6-8:30 p.m.  DD's bed time is 8 p.m., and she is a mess by that time.  

Also, they want us there from something like 9 -10:30 that morning as well for rehearsal. So we'd basically have to drive there, come back, then later drive there and come back again.  We will be in the car for four hours total for preschool graduation, that is held at bedtime, and there is a good chance she will be too tired to even stand still for it.  I really don't want to deal with it, honestly, but some of the parents have said they are shocked I wouldn't want to do it. If this was your situation, would you do this just for preschool?  It seems ridiculous to me, but I'm open to other opinions in case I'm missing something, lol.

Thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lstrickland
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Just don't go.

I wouldn't.
Beautifulmom513
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

In that situation, no I wouldn't. That is a bit much.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Thanks. I wasn't really planning to but you never know. 

Quoting lstrickland: Just don't go. I wouldn't.

funny_girl3
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

The thing is, the teachers at school will be getting the kids prepared for this graduation for the  last month or two of preschool.  They will be getting the kids psyched up for it and your daughter may be really disappointed if she can't participate.  I would do it, in fact I have done stupid things like that for my kids.  The way I look at it, it's only one day out of your life.  And while preschool graduation ceremony seems so small and insignificant to us, it means the world to our kids.  And life is short, you should take the time to celebrate everything because who knows how many chances we'll have?

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM

I thought that, too, and thanks. I feel a little better. To talk to some of the other moms you'd think I was depriving my DD of something huge.

Quoting Beautifulmom513:

In that situation, no I wouldn't. That is a bit much.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:56 AM

I will have to check with her teacher to see how much prep they will be doing ahead of time, I hadn't thought of that. Although I didn't let her do the Christmas concert this year because it ended on hour past her bedtime, and she was OK with not doing it.  I think the time of night is what bothers me most. When she is tired she literally spins and bounces off walls, cries and the more tired she gets the more wound up she gets to the point of just falling on the floor sobbing. I would hate to get her all dressed up to take her to have her have a meltdown because it's too late. And then we'd have to drive home an hour, and she'd be that much later getting to sleep and then we run into night terrors for days.  There's more to it (she hs sleep issues)  but that's TMI for this post, lol.  I completely agree with you about doing the stupid little things for the kids, but I can't convince myself this would actually be good for her. There's a decent chance it will be a disaster.  That is why I'm on the fence. Thanks for your perspective, it is basically the other voice in my head when I consider if we will do the graduation or not!

Quoting funny_girl3:

The thing is, the teachers at school will be getting the kids prepared for this graduation for the  last month or two of preschool.  They will be getting the kids psyched up for it and your daughter may be really disappointed if she can't participate.  I would do it, in fact I have done stupid things like that for my kids.  The way I look at it, it's only one day out of your life.  And while preschool graduation ceremony seems so small and insignificant to us, it means the world to our kids.  And life is short, you should take the time to celebrate everything because who knows how many chances we'll have?

funny_girl3
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to teach preschool so I can guarantee that there will be something special: maybe a song they will learn to sing to the parents, or a thank you gift for the parents.  The teachers won't use the same-day rehearsal as the only rehearsal, the kids will be practicing the whole day for weeks, for at least a few minutes each day they have school.

If it was me and I was dead set against taking my little one, I'd opt to do something special for them with the family on that day.  Maybe plan a family trip to the zoo or wherever your little one likes to go.  And I'd give the teachers a heads up that your daughter won't be participating in the ceremony so they can downplay some of the prep for her at school, or give you a heads up to keep her home on one of the days that they are rehearsing at school.

Quoting JTE11:

I will have to check with her teacher to see how much prep they will be doing ahead of time, I hadn't thought of that. Although I didn't let her do the Christmas concert this year because it ended on hour past her bedtime, and she was OK with not doing it.  I think the time of night is what bothers me most. When she is tired she literally spins and bounces off walls, cries and the more tired she gets the more wound up she gets to the point of just falling on the floor sobbing. I would hate to get her all dressed up to take her to have her have a meltdown because it's too late. And then we'd have to drive home an hour, and she'd be that much later getting to sleep and then we run into night terrors for days.  There's more to it (she hs sleep issues)  but that's TMI for this post, lol.  I completely agree with you about doing the stupid little things for the kids, but I can't convince myself this would actually be good for her. There's a decent chance it will be a disaster.  That is why I'm on the fence. Thanks for your perspective, it is basically the other voice in my head when I consider if we will do the graduation or not!

Quoting funny_girl3:

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

For all I know you are right, I don't have any more information at this point. There will be elementary, kindergarten and preschool graduation the same night so I was thinking with that many kids it would just be something quick. I remember 'graduation' from elementary school before we went up to the Jr High and we didn't do anything but show up, have our names called, and we got a certificate and that was it. I will just have to talk to the teacher sometime. 

Quoting funny_girl3:

I used to teach preschool so I can guarantee that there will be something special: maybe a song they will learn to sing to the parents, or a thank you gift for the parents.  The teachers won't use the same-day rehearsal as the only rehearsal, the kids will be practicing the whole day for weeks, for at least a few minutes each day they have school.

If it was me and I was dead set against taking my little one, I'd opt to do something special for them with the family on that day.  Maybe plan a family trip to the zoo or wherever your little one likes to go.  And I'd give the teachers a heads up that your daughter won't be participating in the ceremony so they can downplay some of the prep for her at school, or give you a heads up to keep her home on one of the days that they are rehearsing at school.

Quoting JTE11:

Quoting funny_girl3:

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I have nothing against preschool graduation. Our Schools have done it since the beginning of time and kindergarten has graduation too. I love it. But your kids school has way over done it and that is just damn ridiculous to have to go that far for a preschool. I don't blame you. 

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Thanks. That was my initial knee-jerk reaction, lol.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

I have nothing against preschool graduation. Our Schools have done it since the beginning of time and kindergarten has graduation too. I love it. But your kids school has way over done it and that is just damn ridiculous to have to go that far for a preschool. I don't blame you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)