Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Get the Winter 'Blues'?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

What your mother or grandmother used to call the "winter blues" is usually labeled seasonal affective disorder (SAD) by doctors today, but you know the symptoms no matter the name: long bouts of melancholy or serious depression that kick in like clockwork right around the time winter starts every year. Though there's obviously a difference in severity between SAD and that blah feeling a lot of people feel around the holidays, both should be addressed, albeit in different manners.

If you think you have SAD, you should talk to your doctor. If you think you're just in a funk, here's how experts -- one doctor and one life coach -- recommend getting out of it.

by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bbwmomoftwo
by on Dec. 12, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Sometimes I do, but I live in California, so we really don't have a winter here lol. I think when it's grey and overcast it puts a damper on things. Plus, it makes it difficult to take the kids places unless its indoors.

Arrow659
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 6:08 AM

No

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Dec. 14, 2016 at 9:58 AM
No
artistmom889
by on Dec. 16, 2016 at 8:50 AM

yep. the things on that list are helpful I also find praying , music and creativity quite helpful,

Mamanoemi772
by on Dec. 16, 2016 at 8:55 AM
Yes,every year😕
MixedCooke
by Member on Dec. 21, 2016 at 2:50 AM

I pretty much feel the weight of the world from August until the end of the year.  Being a Florida girl, I do get depressed if it is cold too long, luckily I live in South Florida so that only happens occasionally.

Linda_Runs
by on Dec. 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM

We seriously try to avoid that here.  While I get them as I get up in the dark and eat supper in the dark, my two girls are what is important to me.  Sometimes in the dead of winter when it is just too cold to go out, we count on the regular things like Saturday morning swimming, bowling, rock climbing, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)