Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night terrors?? 😳😳😳

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 4:54 AM
  • 5 Replies
So, last Saturday, my 2 year old had an episode while he was sleeping! He woke up and stared for a couple of minutes and whimpered in his sleep for a few minutes so I picked him up. He went back to sleep. Then this Saturday night, he did the same. However, this time he screamed! He opened his eyes, obviously not awake awake. Then he started whimpering and then full on crying. So, I picked him up! Apparently I shouldn’t have because he screamed and cried at the top of his lungs for a good 30 minutes. He also acted like his legs were bothering him. He was fine the rest of the night but it took a good hour to get him back into bed. Now, I’m not sure if this could be growing pains or night terrors. With growing pains, he’s be awake, right? I couldn’t console him or anything. I need some advice. When he did it last weekend, I was afraid it was a seizure but o don’t believe it is.. But last weekend, he didn’t act like he was in pain or anything. Also, both of these nights he had gotten upset and cried pretty hard before bed.. I have 2 teens and they like to pick on him..
by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 4:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
crystalplus1
by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 5:07 AM
Sounds like night terrors. My son had them for a bit. Wake up and run around screaming and crying. Touching
crystalplus1
by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 5:23 AM
Touching made it worse every time.

Quoting crystalplus1: Sounds like night terrors. My son had them for a bit. Wake up and run around screaming and crying. Touching
agse01
by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 11:43 AM

I'm sorry your little one is going through this! Can defintitely be a scary situation not knowing what is going on with him! He could just be having bad dreams. He could be reacting to something in his sleep that happened earlier in the day, just like us, their brains are constantly "on." 3/4 of my kids have experienced what you are describing at somem point when they were younger. My 5 yr old still "wakes" at night, calls for me, and cries. When I go in, it looks like she is awake, but she is in a sleep state. I usually just stroke her hair, and reassure her that I am there. Within a few minutes it's usually all over with and she settles back down. Some times, this happens a few times a night. Other times, it goes on for quite awhile and I will have to lay next to her and snuggle with her until she calms down. I think the best thing you can do is just love on him and just reassure that you are near. When I ask her in the morning if she remembers anything, most often she does not. I've attributed it to bad dreams. She has also had growing pains and those will wake her up and she is alert. She will tell me what is hurting. If this continues, you could check with his doctor just to make sure it's nothing physical or if it is night terrors, maybe the doctor can give you some tools to help him through it! Best of luck to you!

aeg23
by New Member on Oct. 26, 2017 at 10:45 AM

My daughter (now 6) went through the same thing at that age! I agree with crystalplus1 that touching made it worse, but that was only when I actually tried to pick her up to calm her down. Those were the nights I learned how strong a 2yo can be! Then I learned to slowly rub her back or arms so that she could feel I was there, but without me trying to control her movement. I even tried to soothe her by saying "shhh go back night night" or something like that. It seemed to help. I thought those nights would never end, but they do! Good luck

JTE11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2017 at 10:05 PM
It's likely night terrors. You don't have to do anything because he's not really awake or suffering. Just stand by and make sure he doesn't hurt himself, and he'll eventually go back to sleep. My dd has had them for years, and it's a non issue I promise. What tends to cause them for my dd is going to bed too late and being overtired. I protect her sleep and always allow 12 hours for her at age 6. When she was younger we allowed a lot longer overnight, were strict with her sleep schedule, and protected her naps (meaning no napping on the go, all naps occurred at home in her own bed, and on time) and as long as we did that she didn't have them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)