Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paying for dinner

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM
  • 7 Replies
My dd who is years old has been invited to go out to dinner with her friend and her family. The friend said she needs to bring $40 to cover her meal. Now I feel weird about it. In the past would pay for the friend because I feel they are the guess. Am I being to nice or do I need to say your kid needs to pay their own way. And I'm talking about kids under the age of 12. When should I stop paying for other kids.
by on Oct. 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NovemberMommy16
by on Oct. 28, 2017 at 3:16 PM
It's weird to invite someone to eat and expect them to pay. It's inviting them to spend money. I think when inviting someone to eat its best to pay for them. Especially if you have paid for their child to eat in the past. If they can't afford to pay for yours then they shouldn't have invited her. Plus, $40? Um...do you live in a HCOL area? That is a lot!
chicken13
by Member on Oct. 30, 2017 at 10:09 AM

If you invite someone to an activity...dinner, theme park, movies...then you pay their way.  If you can't afford an extra person, then don't invite them.

Asking the child to bring $40 is tacky as all hell.

goldpandora
by on Oct. 30, 2017 at 10:13 AM

I absolutely agree. We recently invited a few of our daughters' friends to a local theme park and we paid for the tickets, provided transport and I took care of the picnic. You invite, you are responsible for the cost. 

Quoting chicken13:

If you invite someone to an activity...dinner, theme park, movies...then you pay their way.  If you can't afford an extra person, then don't invite them.

Asking the child to bring $40 is tacky as all hell.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2017 at 10:47 AM

I have issues when you're "inviting" someone and then expect them to pay their own way ... I'm that way also when I invite someone it's understood that I'm paying for them however, everyone is different and I've been caught in your situation before, therefor when DD is "invited" somewhere I always offer to pay.  If I don't wish to pay for a person "tagging along" and I say it straight out. To the mom of said kid.

SweetPea2004
by Member on Nov. 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM
If we invite we pay
Arrow659
by Member on Nov. 7, 2017 at 7:28 AM

It depends on the person. Everyone is different. Maybe they don't have the money to pay for the people they are inviting to go out to eat. I Have a couple of friends.I go out to eat lunch with once a month. I don't pay for their meal. If you have a problem with it. Tell them your child can't go.

Dynell

almburr
by Member on Nov. 7, 2017 at 7:36 AM
I'd never make kids go Dutch treat. I think it's rude. If we take our kids friends with us on a weekend trip. We cover everything that I had planned. The parent usually sends some money with them for extras.

DS12 was invited to go with his friend and his family to an older siblings football game when he was 8. I said sure. Mom calls and tells me that it will cost this much for him to get into the game, he'd need money for concessions. Money for supper. I was a bit taken back. They wanted my son to go so their son wouldn't be bored.

They tried it another time but this time they went to the movies. Told me his share for pizza, movie ticket, and popcorn. I'm like come on?! It's not like they didn't have the money, they are super super cheap. NOT frugal, cheap.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)