Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler throwing

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2017 at 8:06 PM
  • 5 Replies
My 25 month old has discovered the thrill of throwing just about anything he can get his hands on over the past few days. It’s pretty much impulsive throwing which makes it even more difficult to catch before it happens or figure out what precedes the throwing to even have a chance to stop it before it starts. He’ll be playing perfectly fine and then all of a sudden there’s something flying across the room or even out of the bathtub. I know it’s typical so I’m wondering what are some strategies that you all have used in incidents like this? What works and what doesn’t work? I can take away the toy he threw but there are still 1000 other things he can pick up and throw and I can’t take everything away. I can voice my displeasure and explain how it’s dangerous and someone can get hurt but then again he just gives me that sinister look and smiles (I swear there are little devil horns popping out of his head when he does it). I can ignore it and just say a prayer that the thrill of the impulsive throw eventually goes away. Do I buy a ball pit and let him go crazy with throwing balls outside? LOL! Not sure if he’s ready for any kind of time out chair at 25 months or is he? Other than that impulsive throwing he is the sweetest little thing in the entire world and we have no behavior problems with him whatsoever. So far at least. LOL!! So I’m wondering if he is enjoying a little bit of negative attention and mommy’s angry face maybe?
For example, tonight in the bathtub we were finished with washing and had a few minutes to play and he was playing with his toys everything was fine. All of a sudden he picks up a toy and it’s flying across the bathroom, quickly followed by another toy and then a third. Telling him to stop and he’s just laughing and throwing. I snatched him out real quick and very firmly told him we do not throw our tubby toys that is wrong, mommy does not like that. And we went right to his room we got our jammies on and then we went back to the bathroom picked up the toys we threw and then we put the toys away. And by away I mean we put the toys in the shower and told him when he throws his toys they have to go in time out. It’s very hard to do discipline right before bedtime! LOL! He just looked at us like we were nuts! So we’re going to keep them in there and then tomorrow night only give him a couple of toys and see what happens.
Any ideas on how to help my little impulsive thrower would be greatly appreciated!
by on Nov. 28, 2017 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2017 at 2:30 PM
He can definitely be put in time out for two and a hal minutes. Now is a good time to start with this. You tell him that a behavior is wrong and what will happen if he does it again. When he does, you put him on the time out spot and set the timer. When he gets up (and he will) you walk him back to the spot WITHOUT COMMENT and reset the timer. You do this unyil he sits for the whole time out period. You have to be consistent with this. And yes, get a ball pit where he can throw appropriately.
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM

at 25 months he's definitely old enough to understand NO also to be put in a time out for bad behaviour.  He's also old enough to go around the room and pick up what he has thrown around.

It's been a long time since I've dealt with a 2 year old but I remember that all kids go through that phase and you need to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control

by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 7:07 PM

Like the previous posts, I encourage you not to dismiss his behavior as innocent and fail to teach him boundaries.

Yes. Of course it is innocent. At that age, you can dismiss just about everything saying they don't know any better and mean no harm.

But when we parent like that, we raise kids who do not have any boundaries.

Boundaries are healthy. Totally okay to teach him some here, punish him when he pushes them, and praise him when he stays inside them. The beauty is that it doesn't matter what your preferred style of parenting is. You can gently teach boundaries. You can quickly teach boundaries. You can use any number of ideas to get your point across, just remember the point: it isn't okay to throw things inside.

by Member on Jan. 1, 2018 at 1:07 PM

That is what toddlers do

by Member on Jan. 1, 2018 at 1:15 PM

The item he throws should be taken away and not given back for while.  Put them in a basket up high somewhere he cannot get to them but can see them so everytime he sees them it's a reminder for what happens when he throws thins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)