Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New School Year Routines.....

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

How are you getting your family back into the swing of school routines? Is there anything special you do?

We start waking up and doing our morning routines 1 week before school. We start talking about our goals for the school year and we stay busy that last week with fun things (visit the science center, go swimming, go to the park, etc)....a goodbye to summer type of week :-)

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2_2Boys
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I have started making my kids go to bed at their school bedtimes. Also getting everything in my house organized so things won't be so chaotic during the school year.

TiffnTravsMommy
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

oh yes...the ensuing chaos! ugh! Any suggestions on how you control that?

connorsmommy120
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:13 PM

DS starts school the 6th (just found that out today, i thought it was the 8th) so next week he will start going to bed at 8:00-8:15 and waking up around 7:00.

butterfly-jo
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM

well...we usually start a bedtime routine about a week before school starts and then we prep by getting our bck packs all packed and making out some lunch menus (i pack their lunches).

my favorite thing though.i got closet organizers (the sweater ones) for both kids and we put their clothes out for the week ...we started doing this a few days before so they knew where to look for their outfit each day....and now (bc my kids are already in school) set them out each sunday after the laundry is finished...this way they can pick what they wear, i can approve it and there is NO morning arguing.

another thing we like to do to get ready (this is mainly for me) is to pick a place for their backpacks and lunch boxes to go when they are home....they each come in, clean out their lunch box, wipe it out if it is dirty and put it on the shelf.  then their back packs go under the entrance table in the living room.  we practiced this a few times for my 4 yr old and he loves being responsible for it.

our evening routine is.....  they come home, have snack, do their chores and then they play till dinner.  after dinner it is shower time (jammies, etc) and then they can play a video game or watch tv for about 1/2 an hour.  then it's wind down reading time (usually while i'm feeding the baby, my oldest will read to the middle kid..but we all sit on the couch together so ash (the baby) can see the book too) and then it's bed time.  both my boys go right to sleep, avery is 12 so she gets to stay up for an extra 30 minutes reading her own book..then lights out. 

**hopefully that didn't sound too scatter brained...lol.

Mom2_2Boys
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Quoting TiffnTravsMommy:

I try to have clothes ironed and layed out every night and lunches made if needed. Including for myself and my husband. Do a load of laundry everyday. Each day take something out of the freezer for the next night so I don't have to worry about what's for dinner the next night. Things seem to get hectic with all the pto meetings, cub scout meetings, sports, etc. This way I'm prepared.

HelloKitty86
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:57 AM

My kids are not in shool yet, but I will be watching this post intently for ideas!

TiffnTravsMommy
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Thats great! I like how you add you and hubby into the preparations for the next day....hhhmmm :-)

Quoting Mom2_2Boys:

Quoting TiffnTravsMommy:

I try to have clothes ironed and layed out every night and lunches made if needed. Including for myself and my husband. Do a load of laundry everyday. Each day take something out of the freezer for the next night so I don't have to worry about what's for dinner the next night. Things seem to get hectic with all the pto meetings, cub scout meetings, sports, etc. This way I'm prepared.

connorsmommy120
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Oooh, I like your ideas. DS was in Kindergarten last year and when he came home he would just throw his backpack next to the door. This year he'll be in first grade so he'll have a lunch box too, so I think I'm going to go out and buy a table for next to the door that way he can put his backpack there, and then put his lunchbox in the sink. (we have a coat rack by the door but, he cannot reach it)

Quoting butterfly-jo:

well...we usually start a bedtime routine about a week before school starts and then we prep by getting our bck packs all packed and making out some lunch menus (i pack their lunches).

my favorite thing though.i got closet organizers (the sweater ones) for both kids and we put their clothes out for the week ...we started doing this a few days before so they knew where to look for their outfit each day....and now (bc my kids are already in school) set them out each sunday after the laundry is finished...this way they can pick what they wear, i can approve it and there is NO morning arguing.

another thing we like to do to get ready (this is mainly for me) is to pick a place for their backpacks and lunch boxes to go when they are home....they each come in, clean out their lunch box, wipe it out if it is dirty and put it on the shelf.  then their back packs go under the entrance table in the living room.  we practiced this a few times for my 4 yr old and he loves being responsible for it.

our evening routine is.....  they come home, have snack, do their chores and then they play till dinner.  after dinner it is shower time (jammies, etc) and then they can play a video game or watch tv for about 1/2 an hour.  then it's wind down reading time (usually while i'm feeding the baby, my oldest will read to the middle kid..but we all sit on the couch together so ash (the baby) can see the book too) and then it's bed time.  both my boys go right to sleep, avery is 12 so she gets to stay up for an extra 30 minutes reading her own book..then lights out. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
butterfly-jo
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:26 AM

thank you!!  i have a little issue with OCD and everything has to have it's place...so it works really well for us to have a specific place for their school items to go.

Quoting connorsmommy120:

Oooh, I like your ideas. DS was in Kindergarten last year and when he came home he would just throw his backpack next to the door. This year he'll be in first grade so he'll have a lunch box too, so I think I'm going to go out and buy a table for next to the door that way he can put his backpack there, and then put his lunchbox in the sink. (we have a coat rack by the door but, he cannot reach it)

Quoting butterfly-jo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)