Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Hands and knees? Mop? steam cleaner?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM
  • 49 Replies

How do you clean your kitchen floor?

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimsardo
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Once a week or less. It doesn't get very dirty. It is me and my 8 yr old son and we don't wear shoes in the house.

I clean up spills as we go (hands and knees) When I do the whole floor I use a steam mop. I love it.

connorsmommy120
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I use my steam mop every other day, and use my hands and knees the days between then. With two kids, and a dog whose hair goes everywhere I am constantly sweeping, vacuuming and mopping. Especially since DD is only 13 months and everything she picks up goes straight to her mouth.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Yes with little ones like your daughter keeping the floors clean is so important.  I also had to keep my children out of the cats' food and water. LOL!

Quoting connorsmommy120:

I use my steam mop every other day, and use my hands and knees the days between then. With two kids, and a dog whose hair goes everywhere I am constantly sweeping, vacuuming and mopping. Especially since DD is only 13 months and everything she picks up goes straight to her mouth.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I've been hearing good things about steam mops but haven't really looked into getting one yet.

Quoting kimsardo:

Once a week or less. It doesn't get very dirty. It is me and my 8 yr old son and we don't wear shoes in the house.

I clean up spills as we go (hands and knees) When I do the whole floor I use a steam mop. I love it.

connorsmommy120
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I absolutely LOVE mine. It gets the floors really clean, and you don't feel that film left behind by the swiffer or even sometimes the sponge mops...

Quoting Bmat:

I've been hearing good things about steam mops but haven't really looked into getting one yet.

Quoting kimsardo:

Strega
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:38 AM
I actually clean the Kitchen floor on my Hands and Knees. I always hated how Mops would push everything into corners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM

My flooring has indentations as part of the design, I wonder if the steam mop would get those clean.

Quoting connorsmommy120:

I absolutely LOVE mine. It gets the floors really clean, and you don't feel that film left behind by the swiffer or even sometimes the sponge mops...

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting kimsardo:

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Good point.  I go over mine on my hands and knees about once a week. But there are indentations- it is supposed to resemble tile I guess, that I'm not getting to. I am thinking a scrub brush may be what I need, although those steam mops might work.

Quoting Strega:

I actually clean the Kitchen floor on my Hands and Knees. I always hated how Mops would push everything into corners.

MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Steam mops killed my cheap linoleum.  They just took the shine right off.  I have a huge amount of floor and mopping more then once a week is way too much.  I vacuum the whole floor and then use the hose in all corners.  Then I mop about half of the floor (heaviest traffic area first), change water and then go back over the part I just did and then finish. Then I take old bath towels (it takes 3 or 4) and dry the whole floor getting baseboards and corners.  It takes me close to an hour.  Maybe if I didn't do such an extensive job I'd want to do it more often, but I just can't do less.  It's ingrained lol.

connorsmommy120
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I have ugly  lineolium in my kitchen and it has indentations and it works good. If I see a spot that needs a little more then I just let the steam mop sit on it for a couple seconds, and pump more steam and it gets it.

Quoting Bmat:

My flooring has indentations as part of the design, I wonder if the steam mop would get those clean.

Quoting connorsmommy120:

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting kimsardo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)