Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Hands and knees? Mop? steam cleaner?

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you clean your kitchen floor?

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 9:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
TiffnTravsMommy
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I used a mop. Generally I vaccum the kitchen and then mop....it gets the dirt up better than a broom. I hot bleach hand mop twice a year, sometimes more in the winter depending on how much snow ends up in the house. I am really considering purchasing a steam mop when we move.

4mom247
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM

You may be able to research and see what kind of floors arent recommended.I used my MILs so I dont use it on a regular basis,but just using it once a week or so instead of daily would help with not damaging your floor.Do a deep steam clean once a week then just mopping the other times should work.I know that the steam mops are good for getting in the cracks.So if you just get that dirt up once a week your floor is cleaner than it would be by just mopping.

Quoting Bmat:

I'm still wondering about floor damage with the steam cleaners? 

MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Quoting TiffnTravsMommy:

I used a mop. Generally I vaccum the kitchen and then mop....it gets the dirt up better than a broom. I hot bleach hand mop twice a year, sometimes more in the winter depending on how much snow ends up in the house. I am really considering purchasing a steam mop when we move.

Woot!  I vacuum too!  I always feel silly saying that, but I havent swept with a broom in years.  I use the hose to get all the corners too.

MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM

The one I have must be a cheaper model Shark.  My fil got it for free with the purchase of something else and gave it to us.  We used it once and it stripped the shine right off our floor in some spots.  It's rough now instead of smooth, even over a year later.  Yes it doesn't use chemicals and is rather easy to use, but I'm a tad bit upset about my floor and haven't used it since.  On a side note, we do have really cheap, construction grade floors.

Quoting Bmat:

SpiritedDragon
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I use my hands and knees at least twice a week.  I spot clean in between, since it is just my two boys and I.  But I use vinegar and water to clean.  

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I think I'll do this. I really need to do something to get in the depressions in the floor. I haven't tried scrubbing on hands and knees with a scrub brush, but I think between brush and steam that the steam would get the floor cleaner.

Quoting 4mom247:

You may be able to research and see what kind of floors arent recommended.I used my MILs so I dont use it on a regular basis,but just using it once a week or so instead of daily would help with not damaging your floor.Do a deep steam clean once a week then just mopping the other times should work.I know that the steam mops are good for getting in the cracks.So if you just get that dirt up once a week your floor is cleaner than it would be by just mopping.

Quoting Bmat:

SophistoCat
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Steam mop.  It's so easy & fun that I wish our whole house had tile flooring. :)

MargauxG
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM

sweep 3 times a day and mop when it needs it...

TammyMom2four
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Hands and Knees... sorry I thought this was about something else...hahaha

Steam mop...SHARK ... best invention ever.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Steam mop or a rag/paper towels for quick clean ups.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)