Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

How do you deal with SOCKS ?????

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM
  • 33 Replies

I swear I think the worse part of laundry is matching socks,especialy the all white ones.I have 4 kids ages 15,13,12 & 8 and I swear I find socks everywhere but where they belong,then as I fold laundry they end up threw in a basket until one day (like today) I have to set and match them all.I want to burn them and just buy new.lol Do you have a method to help you keep up with those devils ?

by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slmolter
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I buy each child a certain pair of socks. My oldest likes the moderetly longish ankle socks, my middle child likes ankle socks, the ones that cut off at the ankle and the infant doesnt count yet. My husband only wears hanes and I only buy one type of sock. Makes organizing them soooo much easier, but then again we dont have any creative socks. They are all white plain jane socks.

4mom247
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Lord this wasnt all of them,I had already folded some and threw some rough looking ones out.lol My 13 yr old girl wears some funky socks,and she will miss match them on purpose.I mean a hot pink zebra pink with a lime green one.lol Her doing that messes up my sock issue too,I need a sock patrol.lol

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:13 PM

I only buy two colors of socks, white and black.  And when I buy them I buy all the same style of each color. So all the black socks of a certain size match, and all the white socks of a certain size match.  Something else you can do is to take a laundry marker and make a small mark in the same place on the sole of each sock. Each member of the family would have their own mark. For the youngest, perhaps a small line or dot, for the next older- two dots or lines, etc.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM

This sounds like it would work for us, too, if each person had their own style. :)

Quoting slmolter:

I buy each child a certain pair of socks. My oldest likes the moderetly longish ankle socks, my middle child likes ankle socks, the ones that cut off at the ankle and the infant doesnt count yet. My husband only wears hanes and I only buy one type of sock. Makes organizing them soooo much easier, but then again we dont have any creative socks. They are all white plain jane socks.

slmolter
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM

lol my kids are still little so they dont have that sense of 'fashion' yet. Just throw all her socks into one basket and give them to her lol

johnny4ever
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I only have one child  pretty simple..but I do find them everywhere!

MamaJane
by Jane on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I buy all one style for each person as well.  It isn't more work.  It's actually less.  I'm sure with your ages you have the same problem as me and some kids have close to or the same size feet.  It's an easy and fast way to know what sock belong to which kid.  My daughter wears crazy colors too.  I find it easier to sort hers then all the white ones because there's no question which sock matches.  If I have left over ones I throw them in her room because chances are the mate went through in an earlier load.  She also does most of her own laundry so that helps. Another thing is I don't let the socks pile up and get out of hand.  If I had 51 (because we know it can't possibly be even) socks, the job would be a lot harder.

Flaca43
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM
I buy them different ones too. My oldest son hates long socks, so he gets ankle socks. My middle son gets long ones. Both kind are black though. I wash the boys clothes separately from my daughters and ours are separate as well. My little ones clothes are washed alone, bit there is no mistaking socks there anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jasonsjenn
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:44 PM

My mom made us take care of our own! I had the same kind as a roommate in college. I marked my initials with magic marker on the bottom where the marking woudn't be seen. If your kids are old enough to tell you "these aren't my socks!" then they're old enough to help you sort and put away... that way the socks are their responsibility and you don't have to deal with the headache.

TiffnTravsMommy
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 8:55 PM

We each have different socks. When my sis lived here she did the mismatch socks on purpose to..ugh! And shes 21!

I give everyone their own socks to fold! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)