Roomba7A friend of mine got a Roomba just for the hell of it, and found it made a perfect toddler babysitter: his 3-year-old would follow the damn thing around the house, chirping, “Woomba! Woomba!” as if it were his beloved pet. Myself, I never found the things to be all that useful as a cleaning device -- by the time I finish de-cluttering the floor, I may as well vacuum the place myself.

But a group of German industrial-design students saw an amazing potential in the Roomba: they attached lights to the automatically-piloted vacuum cleaners, and took long-exposure photographs of their journeys. The results? Gorgeous, Spirograph-like images of light sculptures.

Here’s how they did it. Don’t you wish your housecleaning left such a cool image?

First, the Roombas were fitted with lights.

Roomba1

This is how they looked with the lights off, photographed with a normal exposure. Already very cool!

Roomba2

For one shot, they used boxes as obstacles -- it's all too easy to interrupt a Roomba's flow, alas. 

Roomba3

How cool is that?! An overhead view:
 Roomba4

The possibilities are apparently endless: 

Roomba5
 Just for kicks, I did one in my house, of me doing my usual job of vacuuming:

Roomba6 
Ha ha ha, get it? I'm a horrible housekeeper! Go ahead, yell at me in the comments. And go look at theRoomba Art pool on Flickr for a seemingly endless display of cool art like this.

What do you think your vacuuming would look like from this angle? How do you like these pics?