• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you clean your floors?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM
  • 12 Replies

we just moved out of our RV and back into a house....the only carpet is in the bedrooms.  the rest of the house is tile...not ceramic....the tile squares like you find in a school.  i grew up with them in all houses cuz dad was a contractor and they hold up best ..ect....but they never feel clean to me.

i have issues with a mop.  always living in the country with animals in the house etc, i feel like you can never get all the grim up with a broom or even a vacuum so when you mop you just kind of smear it around. and then you can never get a mop clean.  so i have always been on the hands and knees with scrub brush and cloth....never thought i was ocd but i am thinking i am now.

anyway i am unable to clean this way now due to my arm/hand always hurting so i was thinking of a bissell bare floor cleaner.  i have not seen one in the store, only online. it looks like you vacuume with it then flip it and it will scrub the floor with water solution?  i was wondering if anyone has one and has any input on it.  i know the steam mops are the new thing but then again it is a mop...

any input would be great.....thanks

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
superwoman8977
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:21 PM

shark steam mop...works awesome!

MamaJane
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Oh I forgot I was going to come back to this.  I don't know the machine that you are speaking of but this is how I do it...

I vacuum the floor and then go back over with the hose. I rarely have peices of stuff on the floor when I mop.  I then use a sponge mop with a ringer.  I do half the floor and change the water and then I do the other half. (I have a really big kitchen floor) I then go over it with towels. It normally takes 3 or 4.  I walk around with them under my feet, shuffling LOL.  It's mopping and a workout! It's quite the process but I think my floor is pretty clean at the end lol. 

Bmat
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I like my steam mop.  I know what you mean about sore wrist and not being able to do hands and knees. I'd think if you use a sponge mop with hot water and cleanser, then go over it again with clear water and the mop, then you'd be able to tell if it is clean enough.

kimbee5
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM

thanks girls.....

toothgal
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I have a steam mop and I love it!  But I also use a swifer wet jet after just to make sure its clean!

Bmat
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM

There are mops with a plastic mesh on one side that scrubs better than a sponge. This might help you. I don't think I've seen mops with brush heads- this would be even better for you with your wrist problem and your liking to use a brush... Push brooms might scrub, but they are too big.

Bmat
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I looked in Amazon.com and there are mops with brushes attached- perhaps this would suit what you are comfortable with- scrubbing with a brush, but not on your hands and knees.

rubidoux
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I just discovered microfiber for mopping (I just got a package of microfiber towels at costco, cut them in half, and put them on my swiffer) and I'm in love.  I rinse the towel in hot water, mop, and then rinse it again, mop a bit more...  and it really picks up the dirt in a way that sponge mops don't.  It also doesn't leave the floor all wet, which I love.  I don't have to worry that my dogs or kids are going to run through and mess it up.

andrea96
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:56 PM

My carpet steam cleaner has a hard floor attachment, so I use it.

johnny4ever
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 6:22 AM

Im jealous of the steam mop comments..I want one!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)