Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG So Much....(any advice?)...kind of long-ish

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

I decided today is a good day to clean up my living room/dinning room, we turned the original dining room into my husbands hobby room (long story). Both are one room, I found a layout that works good and all. Anyway, as I'm throwing away trash and picking up all the clutter, I'm beginning to realize we have ALOT of junk or crap. There is so much I'm not sure what is what anymore. As soon as I think I can find a home for something, I can't help and wonder why we have that. We have tons of video games, our house is Laptop Utopia or Technology Utopia. Any games, movies, computers, and cables are all over the place. well they are neatly set aside. But I cannot trust my daughter to stay away from the built-in the-wall bookcase she pulls everything anything out. She's got her own corner but likes to pull stuff off the bottom two shelves. 

I don't know if I should go ahead and put all the movies and games in boxes, because we are moving sometime in January. We love to watch our movies on the shelves, and I don't want to have to pull out the box and pull the games and movies out as we need them. (we're bit lazy).

I got the bright idea to use our guest room and convert it for storage purposes. Put all the things that don't have a place in the room and then go through all of them and decide whether or not we should keep them. Should I just turn the guest room into a storage place, I was also thinking about turning it into my craft room as well. Since we live in Hawaii, we don't get very much visitfrom family.What do you guys think?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
halfpintwts
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I have a rule that I use , is that if I haven't used it or needed it in the last 6 months. Then I don't need it in my house. But the exception to the rule is blenders, mixers etc..  I think if space is limited then go ahead and toss out. Just putting it in the spare bedroom for later is not always a good idea, because later never comes.

johnny4ever
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Can you put them in the box sideaways..so you can still see the names?

nickygsmommy
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

We keep our DVDs on shelves in our closet... I don't see a problem with turning the guest room into a storage room if you're moving soon. It could be more like a "staging room" for your move.  Put stuff in there that you don't know what to do with for now. Try to get rid of what you can, and make a rule that, when you move, everything has to have a home or it goes.  I read something today saying de-cluttering is like peeling back the layers of an onion. It's not just something that you do once and you're done. Each time I do it, I find things that I held onto the previous time but stiff never used. 

Bmat
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM

As you load things into your guest room, evaluate if you really want to keep them, rather than move them into the room and then evaluate and have to move them out again.

ahcory
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Thank You ladies for your insights, I did end up throwing everything in the guest room for now, hopefully I will eventually get to those things after everything thats chaotic going around settles. 

Alot of our movies are VHS and DVDs, which is so weird because VHS takes up more room. 

I know the rule number one of moving is don't  bring or buy anything that requires to be moved with other things, but I had broken that rule, I got a kid size ottaman for my daughter and it stores all her toys in there. So I guess it's okay. 

Many of the junk or crap we have is partly mine and hubby's combined. I'm working on trying to figure out if I really want to throw all my things away and start anew. But alot of the stuff I have is from High School, mostly to remember all the GOOD things that had happened. O.O

johnny4ever
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Quoting ahcory:

Thank You ladies for your insights, I did end up throwing everything in the guest room for now, hopefully I will eventually get to those things after everything thats chaotic going around settles. 

Alot of our movies are VHS and DVDs, which is so weird because VHS takes up more room. 

I know the rule number one of moving is don't  bring or buy anything that requires to be moved with other things, but I had broken that rule, I got a kid size ottaman for my daughter and it stores all her toys in there. So I guess it's okay. 

Many of the junk or crap we have is partly mine and hubby's combined. I'm working on trying to figure out if I really want to throw all my things away and start anew. But alot of the stuff I have is from High School, mostly to remember all the GOOD things that had happened. O.O

Good Luck with the move!

MamaJane
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Good point!  This is very true!

Quoting nickygsmommy:

We keep our DVDs on shelves in our closet... I don't see a problem with turning the guest room into a storage room if you're moving soon. It could be more like a "staging room" for your move.  Put stuff in there that you don't know what to do with for now. Try to get rid of what you can, and make a rule that, when you move, everything has to have a home or it goes.  I read something today saying de-cluttering is like peeling back the layers of an onion. It's not just something that you do once and you're done. Each time I do it, I find things that I held onto the previous time but stiff never used. 

ahcory
by on Nov. 13, 2011 at 1:11 AM

This is the built-in bookcase and my desk of technology utopia...LOL VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, and Wii games are all on the top shelf. Some other things on the other two shelves, and of course the huggies pull-up bags which I use to enter codes at their website. I just wish I could more. >.< I managed to find homes for the computer cables and what not in my filing cabinet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)