Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids & Cleaning

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM
  • 9 Replies

What do you have your children clean in your home? Do they have daily or weekly chores?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
anotherguatmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM

My ds is 5 and here's what he is responsible for.  I don't do any type of chart.  

Making his bed, taking his dirty clothes to the hamper, putting away his clean clothes, picking up toys (his bins are all labled with pictures) taking dirty dishes to the sink, helping move rugs and chairs when I do the floors.  

The extras that I pay for are baseboards $1.00, helping sweep the garage $.50, spotting dog poop in the yard $.50, folding laudry $.25 per load.  

I.heart.my.kids
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Kid and Cleaning is almost like a CRIME in this house lol.... it's like they are allergic to them.... I'm sure they get it from their father. lol. I really need to buckle down and get some kind of schedule or chart going.

babs61679
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM
My SS13, DD9 & DD7 have daily and weekly chores. During the week they have to make sure their rooms are clean, make their beds, and put their dirty clothes in their buckets. During the week SS13 has poop patrol, taking out the trash, & emptying the dishwasher. DD9 has to clear the table after dinner, feed the dogs, make sure her bird has food/water and a clean cage & help me load the dishwasher. DD7 has to set the table for dinner, give the dogs water, make sure her hamster has food/water and a clean cage & help gather the trash out of all the bedrooms and bathrooms on trash night. On the weekends they all have to vacuum their rooms, dust their, rooms, windex their tvs, make their beds and bring me their laundry. SS13 has to poop patrol & straighten up the porches. DD9 has to windex the tvs and mirrors in the house & dust the front room. DD7 has to help put away laundry & sweep the bathrooms, kitchen, dining room & foyer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMouton
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I have bright white base boards in every room of my house. My 3 year old loves to help me out by using a wet rag to clean the grime and dirt off of them...it drives me crazy for them to be dirty, so it's a great help! She also loves to clean the toilets (I use the flushable wand things), vacuum her room, as well as help fold the laundry!

AzariahsMother
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM
DD does different things. The main thing is her room, but she will take the trash or dishes, and etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM

his room plus he takes out garbage/recycable totes

Bmat
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Their own rooms, and when they were old enough- about 5, they cleaned their own toilet and sink (which I followed up on when they weren't around.) 

superwoman8977
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM

My sons are 13 and they are responsible for the dog cage and feeding and watering our 2 dogs as well as switching the laundry from the washer to the dryer and keeping up their rooms as well as folding and putting away their own clothes.  When my son turns 14 he will be responsible for washing his own clothes.  The kids also each have a night they cook dinner.  They also help in my saturday chore blitz because in our world we work till the job is done and everyone helps.

LindaClement
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Since I am not willing to live in a regimented life of daily or weekly demands, I never did that to my kids.

Instead, I found it worked best to re-adjust my attitude toward the work. It's impossible to lovingly encourage someone you respect to do work that you feel is beneath you. When we value our work, other people see value in it, including value in helping out.

Our house is far from a show home, but it's livable, healthy and comfortable, and our kids have long been a part of keeping it so...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)