Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing
So I been wanting to make my own homemade cleaning solutions to save a little money an not use such harsh chemicals. At this point I need any help possible!!! Or even post links to pages that have homemade ideas. For example... Laundry detergent, dish soap, cleaning of kitchen, bathrooms, carpet cleaner for a shampooer.. I just ran out of laundry detergent so I would love any advice/ ingredients. I also cloth diaper so would love something safe to clean those also.

Thanks so much!!!!

Love,
Carla
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Replies (31-40):
epilepsymom
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

THANKYOU!!!  I printed them all out!!  

mrssmith33
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Thanks! I think I'm gonna try this! How interesting!

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

Easy Shampoo and Conditioner

This is so simple, no chemicals and leaves your hair clean, soft and shiny!!

You can adjust for long , short, thick or thin hair, mine is about shoulder length, about medium thickness and this was just right for me

Shampoo:
1 cup warm water
2 TB baking soda
Mix well until the baking soda is dissolved

Pour over dampened hair and rub in scalp to tips, like regular shampoo

Rinse well.

Conditioner:
Again adjust to your length

1 cup warm water
2 TB apple cider vinegar

Combine well and pour over shampooed hair(careful to not get it in your eyes) rub in well and let it sit 1 minute.

Rinse very well

dry and style as usual

This is a nice chemical free(and cheap!) way to get clean, soft and shiny hair! My hair is color treated and I have had no issue with color running or fading at all.

you can mix up bigger batches if you like to store it in an old bottle!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2012 at 8:51 AM
About time spend money on those ingredients,go buy detergent! I'm out now, wish I had a homemade solution, because I don't feel like going to store right now. But household neccessities ain't really expensive. Buy in bulk, join a club
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redsatin
by on Jan. 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

WELL,  I KNOW THAT VINEGAR MIXED WITH REGUALAR TAP WATER INTO A SPRAY BOTTLE  IS GOOD FOR CLEANING GLASS WITH NEWSPAPER INSTEAD OF PAPER TOWELS AND YOU ARE GOING GREEN RIGHT THERE BECAUSE NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS ARE BEING SPRAYED INTO YOUR HOME**

*** AND LEMON JUICE IS ALSO GREAT FOR CLEANING SMELLY SPONGES; YOU JUST SPRINKLE THE JUICE OF ONE LEMON INTO A BOWL AND PLACE YOUR SPONGES INTO THAT BOWL WITH THE LEMON JUICE IN IT AND PLACE THE BOWL INTO THE MICROWAVE FOR ABOUT TWENTY TO THIRTY SECONDS DEPENDING ON HOW SMELLY THEY ARE  AND THEN YOU HAVE CLEAN SPONGES & YOU SAVE MONEY ON KITCHEN SPONGES THIS WAY ;BECAUSE THE LEMON JUICE KILLS THE BACTERIA IN THE SPONGES AND FRESHENS THEM!!!!

******* & I LOVE TO USE PALMOLIVE DISHWASHING LIQUID BECAUSE IT TRULY IS A GREAT PRODUCT THAT HAS BEEN AROUND FOREVER; BECAUSE IT MAKES EXCELLENT SUDS, IT SMELLS GREAT AND IT IS VERY GENTLE; I USE PALMOLIVE THE ORIGINAL GREEN FORMULA DISHWASHING LIQUID FOR MY LAUNDRY OR THE ORANGE ANTI BACTERIAL DISHWASHING LIQUID FOR CLOTHES THAT HAVE FOOD ODORS IN THEM WHEN DOING THE LAUNDRY; IT REALLY WORKS WONDERS ON BAD ODORS IN CLOTHES, EVEN BLUE JEANS, AND IN SNEAKERS, SLIPPERS AND GETS RID OF SOME STAINS IN THE LAUNDRY AND FOR BABY CLOTHES BECAUSE IT IS SO GENTLE, FOR SWEATERS ALSO AND  I USE SHAMPOO LIKE SUAVE OR VO5 SHAMPOO FOR LAUNDERING SWEATERS AND STUFFED ANIMALS AND LINGERIE ITEMS AND DOES NOT LEAVE A RESIDUE.bump  I JUST THROW THEM INTO THE PERM PRESS CYCLE WHICH HAS A COMBINATION OF HOT AND COLD WATER; BECAUSE IT STARTS WITH HOT AND ENDS THE CYCLE WITH COLD SO I THINK IT IS THE BEST WASH AND THE LAUNDRY COMES OUT FRESH SMELLING AND STATIC CLING IS MINIMAL. SO IT IS A WIN WIN.

MelindaPerry
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I don't use homemade cleaners persay, however, I do shop from a great store online that has NO harsh chemicals and they all work great. The most work I do is order it and unpack the box when it comes. Also, there is a book available with different "recipes" to make bug spray, wipe solutions, and different tips for any type of ailment you may have! I'm too busy to make my own laundry soap, so I go for the next best thing! Message me for more info if you're interested!

meganiph
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM

you can get away with 2 bars and no oxi clean. Just use mean green for a pretreater. Works great and costs even less. I have 5 kids so even though i know that 3rd bar will make it smell even better i need to pinch the pennys. Its not good for eh? washers that can't tolerate lots of suds like my front loader. (sorry about the eh thing i just cant remember since i automatically put all inatals in alphebetic order kind of like dw 40,  im pretty sure its supposed to be wd 40 because hubby always laughs at me when i say it)

wife07_mom08
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

have you tried pinterest!? alot of the people i follow on there have some amazing recipes for every homemade cleaner you could possibly want!!! if u need an invite just pm me ur email address!

lynnd4
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Try Heinz, it smells less. I've done essential oils and it helps a little.

Quoting epilepsymom:

Yes I want them please!!  I did buy a multi purpose spray bottle and a gallon of vinegar but not sure what do so they sit...

Anything you do to dilute the vinegar smell.. My daughter is Autistic and gets violent with the smell of vinegar..

Quoting MamaJane:

Quoting epilepsymom:

any recipes for making a natural all purpose cleaning, mainly kitchen counters, floors.. Thanks

You want them Cheri?  The best would be vinegar and water.  I've mopped my floors, cleaned my walls, got stains out of the toilet, and I sanitize my kitchen every week with it.  The micro, water machine, tables, chairs, counters, cabinets...on and on lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lynnd4
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM
This is for mothers of boys. I found a recipe on Pintetest that gets rid of the boy bathroom smell. It works!!!!

Mix baking soda and lemon juice. Place mixture around base of toilet, let dry. Spray with vinegar and wipe clean. Do weekly.

I sprayed multiple times and made sure I got under the toilet really well. I've tried so many times to get the stink out, this is the only thing that's worked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shlamoof
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I use and it smells amazing, works great :)

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

fabric freshener I use is 

2 tbsp baking soda

1/8 cup fabric softener

hot water in a spray bottle shake before each use

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)