Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yuck! Any tips?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM
  • 14 Replies
So we just moved into a rental house and the shower in our room has some mold in the grout and corners of the tile. Any tips on a home remedy solution that will get rid of the mold?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
epilepsymom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Bleach pen?? I think I would get a toothbrush and dip in either bleach,  vinegar or peroxide and scrub.. 

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM
This is only a temp solution. A complete solution is to regrout.

Quoting epilepsymom:

Bleach pen?? I think I would get a toothbrush and dip in either bleach,  vinegar or peroxide and scrub.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Regrouting won't remove mould.

Moulds are in the air, and the solution is to keep things dry... and kill the spores regularly.

Kill the spores with ammonia. Bleach just changes the colour of mould.

Bmat
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd think that the grout needs to be removed, the area disinfected, then regrouted.

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Regrouting does remove the problem.  The key is to prevent it from coming back.  Using bleah and ammonia are only temp solutions because it will come back with in days.

Highlight in black is what she would need to do once she regrouts.

Quoting LindaClement:

Moulds are in the air, and the solution is to keep things dry... and kill the spores regularly.

AzariahsMother
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Check out these sites.  Gave you a couple so, you could find what you think would be best for your home.

http://www.housecleaningcentral.com/en/cleaning-tips/bathrooms/bathroom-mildew.html

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Home-Safety/Healthy-Home/how-to-remove-mold

http://www.ehow.com/how_4620985_remove-bathroom-mold.html

epilepsymom
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The first thing she needs to do is remove the Mold and Mildew.. Then worry about re grouting, re tiling.. Mold has to be removed first. If you just cover it up, then it will always be there

LindaClement
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Regrouting will do nothing to solve the moisture problem.

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Regrouting does remove the problem.  The key is to prevent it from coming back.  Using bleah and ammonia are only temp solutions because it will come back with in days.

Highlight in black is what she would need to do once she regrouts.

Quoting LindaClement:

johnny4ever
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM

regrout!

amarine1
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Well since this is just a rental and we only plan on being here for another month I guess I will just bleach it like crazy. Unless landlord wants to pay for it to get regrouted which I doubt, she's so hard to get a hold of to get anything done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)