Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stink bug smell, how do I get it off of my hands?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM
  • 16 Replies

We have stink bugs in the house already. I picked up a live one with a paper towel and tossed the bug out, then I picked up a dead one with the same paper towel and put the towel and bug into the trash. But my fingers smelled like stink bug. I tried washing and washing with soap, no change. It wasn't until extensive washing that the smell finally went away. Is there some quick fix for the smell that gets on the fingers?

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM

omg!!!!

johnny4ever
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM

did you try hand lotion?Orange go-go grease stuff..my hubby uses it alot!

Bmat
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:48 PM

We don't have that. I wonder if it would do the trick. I was thinking that a grease remover might help. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quoting johnny4ever:

did you try hand lotion?Orange go-go grease stuff..my hubby uses it alot!

Bmat
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:56 PM

I did some googling around and found this, I was hoping for a single product, though.

http://ajamyajax.com/stinkbug-smell.html

Smelly stink bug odor removed! One of these ideas should help...
Like many of you, I have plenty of stink bugs inside my house to deal with this season, and while crushing and disposing of this pest -- even with a newspaper or paper towel, I still get that stink bug odor on my hands and fingers, and it doesn't seem to wash off! After some trial and error, these two methods seem to get rid of most -- and often all -- of the smell:
1) rub LAUNDRY BORAX powder on your hands, then wash them as if it were soap.
2) put a little lemon-scented scrubbing cleaner like SOFTSCRUB on your hands, then wash them as if it were soap.
The idea here is using something that both absorbs and scours off their odor-causing residue. I usually use both cleaning products since I have both, and in this order.
And using borax probably helps get rid of the stink bug smell from clothes also.

Bmat
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I saw the lemon scented soft scrub method recommended again.

Bmat
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Oh good grief, this is from ehow, according to this there are 4 steps

Difficulty:
Moderately Easy

Instructions

Things You'll Need

• Toothpaste
  • 1 fresh lemon
  • Bowl
  • 1 tbsp. vinegar
  • Mild soap

Dab some toothpaste on your fingers, and rub them together vigorously. Add some water to create a lather. Wash your hands in warm water, after 1 to 2 minutes of rubbing your skin with the toothpaste.

Pour the juice from 1 lemon into a bowl. Add a drop of warm water to the solution to dilute the lemon juice a little. Place your fingertips into the solution. Leave your fingertips in the bowl for at least 1 minute. Beware -- this will sting if you have any cuts on your fingers.

Pour 1 tbsp. of vinegar into a bowl of water. Soak your fingertips in the vinegar. Leave your hands soaking in the vinegar for 2 to 3 minutes.

Scrub your hands with mild soap. Get a good lather, and continue washing your hands throughout the day until the smell is gone.

Bmat
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I am still interested in what you all recommend.

johnny4ever
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Quoting Bmat:

I saw the lemon scented soft scrub method recommended again.

I am for this so far!!!

johnny4ever
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Let us know what works for you!

johnny4ever
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Did you soap them on Pamolive?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)