Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Termites. In my house. :(

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM
  • 14 Replies

We knew there was termite damage on one of the walls in the basement bathroom, but the finished room next to the bath we thought was OK. The house had been treated for termites 7 years ago, and we pay for a yearly inspection. While the worker was pulling down the damaged wall today,  he found that one of the walls in the other room was also damaged, so it had to come down, too. Which adds to the labor and cost, of course. We had the termite people come and evaluate, they said we should get a new treatment and that they would treat the damaged area as part of the yearly service but that re-treating the house is more, a lot more.  But we'll have to have it done. Termites do considerable damage.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJane
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Oh no!!!!!  I'm so sorry!

itsallabtthem84
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Oh no, I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

kquad
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Do they warranty their work on inspecition, because it sounds like they have missed it for a few years.  I also thought treating for termites before normally entails putting a chemical barrier around the house that stops the termites from getting to the house. Once they are there it's a different treatment.  (eradication).....

Bmat
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

We thought more was covered than is. I pay over $200 a year for "termite service." Which means they inspect and will treat if more activity is found. This comes after the several thousand original cost of the treatment, which I thought was good for many years, but now we are told it is only good for 7-10 years, and ours was 7 years ago. Today we find out if the wood plank or whatever it is called that the house rests on is still sound (* groan * )  The inspector that came yesterday after I called the company said that her thought is that the damage took place before the original treatment but that she did see some indication of recent activity outside. I hate the treatment thing, they drill up holes all around the house, including in the porches and patio- every foot, and pour in chemicals. :(  Yet we can't have the structure of the house endangered.

Quoting kquad:

Do they warranty their work on inspecition, because it sounds like they have missed it for a few years.  I also thought treating for termites before normally entails putting a chemical barrier around the house that stops the termites from getting to the house. Once they are there it's a different treatment.  (eradication).....

MamaJane
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Barb we had a main beam of the old house destroyed.  It wasn't termites but it was some kind of wood boring beetle.  The bugs were found upon the inspection before we bought the house.  They were treated and taken care of.  But 10 years later when we had an offer on the house, their inspector found the main support for the house was almost crumbled away.  It was horrifying. However it was fixed fairly easily.  A friend of Tom's jacked the house up (OMG the scariest thing!)and got under the house and replaced it.  I think we paid him 500. Bargain!  Ok correction lol Tom says it was the seal plate that the house sits on on the foundation.

Quoting Bmat:

We thought more was covered than is. I pay over $200 a year for "termite service." Which means they inspect and will treat if more activity is found. This comes after the several thousand original cost of the treatment, which I thought was good for many years, but now we are told it is only good for 7-10 years, and ours was 7 years ago. Today we find out if the wood plank or whatever it is called that the house rests on is still sound (* groan * )  The inspector that came yesterday after I called the company said that her thought is that the damage took place before the original treatment but that she did see some indication of recent activity outside. I hate the treatment thing, they drill up holes all around the house, including in the porches and patio- every foot, and pour in chemicals. :(  Yet we can't have the structure of the house endangered.

Quoting kquad:

Jeanniedoll
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Oh no. That is not good and a big expense. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Since my house is a big ol old house I have had mine inspected. No termites yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I'm sorry : (

Bmat
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Oh my goodness!  Yes it is that seal plate, I think,- I just couldn't think of the name of it, that is on top of the block and under the supporting beams. It has some damage, but when the termite people come tomorrow they should be able to tell us if it is serious. My neighbor was getting new kitchen cabinets, and when they got the old cabinets down it was found that termites had damaged their wall, so they had extensive repairs also. It is so oogy to think of millions of those bugs happily chomping away at one's house.

Quoting MamaJane:

Barb we had a main beam of the old house destroyed.  It wasn't termites but it was some kind of wood boring beetle.  The bugs were found upon the inspection before we bought the house.  They were treated and taken care of.  But 10 years later when we had an offer on the house, their inspector found the main support for the house was almost crumbled away.  It was horrifying. However it was fixed fairly easily.  A friend of Tom's jacked the house up (OMG the scariest thing!)and got under the house and replaced it.  I think we paid him 500. Bargain!  Ok correction lol Tom says it was the seal plate that the house sits on on the foundation.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting kquad:

Bmat
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

The exterminator said well at least we had mice, that mice like termites so they probably ate some.    *thud*

Bmat
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Thank goodness your house is OK.  We've been having some repairs and minor rennovations done to the house, so already have a considerable financial outlay, so this is not a good time, not that any time is.

Quoting Jeanniedoll:

Oh no. That is not good and a big expense. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Since my house is a big ol old house I have had mine inspected. No termites yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)