Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

OT- are garage sales annoying to neighbors?

Posted by   + Show Post
We've just moved to a neighborhood and with the move comes lots of things I now want to get rid of. I'd donate but we actually really could use the money for things like a lawn mower and yard equipment. Donating is great but when you need cash you should sell something right?
I've looked up my city's code for garage sales and there is no law that says I can't have one and I don't need a permit. I can have one any time I want according to the city.

Anyway - I have yet to meet all of the neighbors and I'm wondering, does it annoy you when your neighbor has a garage sale? Should I tell my neighbors my plan in case they have plans of a family gathering and would prefer me not to have one. I dont want to make enemies right off the bat but I sure do want to have a garage sale. What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
MamaJane
by Jane on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I would talk to them if parking may be an issue.  Other then that it's only 1 day.  Neighbors don't have sales often enough to bother me.  Now my mom has neighbors how strap bikes to their trees with for sale signs all summer and constantly sit a table out by the road with junk on it.  That is annoying lol

sunshinepraying
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Me too :) but you could always let them know in case. It'll be a nice gesture either way to show them you're thinking about them and are trying to be a good neighbor

Quoting MeganGallagher:

No I love them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM
We used to have street sales in our neighborhood when growing up. I always l looked forward to them, not to mention it helped get more people to come

Quoting momof2ex1:

Thank you so much for all the replies. Ok I'll pick a date and then go introduce myself to the ones I haven't met and let them know. Maybe we can have a street sale lol thanks!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Our neighborhood covenants state that we can't have a yard sale anytime we want. We either have it during the yearly neighborhood yard sale day or not at all. I think that's a little restrictive, but it doesn't bother me enough to fuss about it.

I do think it'll be a nice way to introduce yourself and show that you're concerned about being a good neighbor. Hope you have a great sale!

Cat.astrophe
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I honestly dont see why you should go and tell them about your plans.  I dont see why it would bother them either. 

Nashville_queen
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I would let them know just in case you have alot of customers they could be blocking their driveway or creeping up the street looking for the house. Also they may want to buy something!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lioness3e
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I'd ask them if they do a group sale or if they'd like to join you if you have one. The bigger the better. People like going to larger sales with more to pick from.

And yes... let them know you are planning one so they have a heads up.

wandep
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

We don't let our neighbors know here..we just have them.

Amberleigh81
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM
If it's just one day, no problem. If you do it multiple times in a close period of time, then I would get annoyed...

But do tell them, and maybe you can organize a community yard sale that will drive more traffic in! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopealways4019
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Put signs up, or did you announce it in local newspaper? But if the neighbor disagree? Your not going have it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN