Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Speaking of having items that should not go into the dishwasher...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM
  • 28 Replies

My good china set, my crystal stemware, my carving knife set,  and I've learned the hard way,  glass lids,  I can't put into my dishwasher. And I don't mind washing these things by hand. But I have a friend who says it all goes into her dishwasher, and if it doesn't, then she doesn't want it.

What items do you have that you won't put in the dishwasher? 

by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM
All the same that you do. I even have some pasta bowls I prefer to hand wash. I don't put the kids plastic cups in the dishwasher either or Tupperware because I can't seem to make it fit. I usually only put in plates, bowls, glasses, silverware. I rarely run the thing because I hand wash almost everything. I'm weird. I also wash it all before it goes in lol my husband gets annoyed by that. I don't wash my pots and pans either. I hand wash them and dry immediately. What's the point of a dishwasher right? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:13 AM

no dishwasher here

Strega
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM

My Cuisinart Pots & Pans. They're always hand-washed. I don't trust the Dishwasher for them.

Daisypath - (oQoi)

Follow Me on Pinterest

MamaJane
by Jane on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I kinda agree with her lol.  I would rather not own things that can't go in the dishwasher and when I do, I avoid using them.  However I'm getting over that.  When I first got my dishwasher after 10 years, I didn't want to wash ANYTHING LOL.

Anyway with that said, I mostly handwash things that physically won't fit lol.  And my crystal wine glasses.  I learned that the acdc glasses I got Tom shouldn't go in there, but it's too late on that now LOL.

TwinMomma122304
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:58 AM

My stoneware!  And I never put my cookie sheets in there, or most of my pots/pans (although they are stainless steel and over 40 years old, so they can hold up :)).  

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I put my cookie sheets in unless they are too big to fit, except for one that said don't put in dishwasher. :) 

Quoting TwinMomma122304:

My stoneware!  And I never put my cookie sheets in there, or most of my pots/pans (although they are stainless steel and over 40 years old, so they can hold up :)).  

Moms_Angels1960
by on Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Knives are not supposed to go in the dishwasher, All my good China I wouldn't either.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

My good china was before dishwasher days, and it has a decorative coating on the rim that would wash off, so it doesn't go into the washer. I've seen stemware break in a dishwasher, so I do mine by hand, except for the inexpensive wine glasses we got as a store promotion a long time ago- they are lasting forever. :)

Quoting Moms_Angels1960:

Knives are not supposed to go in the dishwasher, All my good China I wouldn't either.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a few pieces of Scan Pan, and I don't put those in either. I don't remember if the directions said not to, but I hand wash them. And of course my iron skillets I only hand wash. I wouldn't want to remove the coating in the dishwasher and have to re-season them.

Quoting Strega:

My Cuisinart Pots & Pans. They're always hand-washed. I don't trust the Dishwasher for them.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

My grandkids' plastic cups have a deep ridge along the bottom, so when I put them in there is a lot of water in that ridge. Thinner plastic containers I don't put in if they have to be squeezed in because they get mishapen.

Quoting momof2ex1:

All the same that you do. I even have some pasta bowls I prefer to hand wash. I don't put the kids plastic cups in the dishwasher either or Tupperware because I can't seem to make it fit. I usually only put in plates, bowls, glasses, silverware. I rarely run the thing because I hand wash almost everything. I'm weird. I also wash it all before it goes in lol my husband gets annoyed by that. I don't wash my pots and pans either. I hand wash them and dry immediately. What's the point of a dishwasher right? Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)