Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Kid's rooms....

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Pam
  • 19 Replies

My son is 8 years old and is old enough to keep his room clean. I am sick of it always being a mess! You can't even walk on the floor. I've cleaned it up and he always messes it up. How do I get him in the habit of keeping his room organized??? I am just sick of it!!!

Thanks. :)

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Favored01
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I had to make it one of their chores. So its an automatic daily chore, just like washing dishes is. You can make a chore chart he should follow daily as well and add that to it. My oldest daughter knows that making her bed in the morning before school is a must. So she straightens the room every night before bed so that it would be clean the next day.

MamaJane
by Jane on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I think that kids just all have such different personalities.  You are just going to have to trial and error it until you find what works.  My daughter grew out of it and it helped when we got her loft bed.  No space to throw things under and more space under her bed (and no toys helps LOL).  My older son, though, I don't think there's hope for him lol.  We've tried all the same tricks...he'll clean but he won't keep it clean.  He wants to set up his transformers and leave them that way, he wants to pile all his note books on his desk instead of the nice spot on his bookcase I made just for them.  Just this morning I thought I broke my foot trying to stumble through his room in the dark...it was the cinder block they her broke in martial arts and kept as a souvenir. I never imagined I'd step on a cinder block in my kid's room @@.  I think it's just not important to him...yet anyway.  So I give him leeway.  I understand my standards of clean don't have to be his.  My rule with him is if you want clean clothes I have to be able to walk through your room to hang them up LOL.

Then my youngest is just like me.  He hates having a mess and his room is pretty spic and span.

johnny4ever
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I alos have a 8 year old son and he knows if he deosnt clean it..I throw things away!Or do like my Hubby did make him a donate a toy!

connorsmommy120
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I'm guilty of just going in there and cleaning it myself. Sometimes I ask him to help but, most of the time I just want to get it done.

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Bump! My kids are still young! lol I have no dealt with this yet!

Tfor2
by Tiff on Apr. 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

30 minutes before bedtime send him in to do a 15 minute clean up. If he does a good job he gets extra time before he has to go to bed or a treat or something. Get him in the habit of cleaning it up every night and then there isnt so much to do when he does have to clean it.

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I actually tried this...well sort of! If he cleaned his room up every night before bedtime he would get to stay up late on Wednesday nights and watch his favorite show that comes on at 8 pm. My kids go to bed at 8 pm. Yeah it worked once or twice then I grounded him from watching it cause he didn't pick his room up. :(

Quoting Tfor2:

30 minutes before bedtime send him in to do a 15 minute clean up. If he does a good job he gets extra time before he has to go to bed or a treat or something. Get him in the habit of cleaning it up every night and then there isnt so much to do when he does have to clean it.

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I do this too..but then it gets messed up really bad again and I get upset over it.

Quoting connorsmommy120:

I'm guilty of just going in there and cleaning it myself. Sometimes I ask him to help but, most of the time I just want to get it done.

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I think this weekend I am going to go upstairs and clean it like crazy..take everything OUT...he will only get to keep his leggos in there. The rest of the stuff will be in the playroom. I am going to do my daughter's room like this too. I think one problem is that they don't have enough storage in their rooms.

Tfor2
by Tiff on Apr. 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting wandep:

I actually tried this...well sort of! If he cleaned his room up every night before bedtime he would get to stay up late on Wednesday nights and watch his favorite show that comes on at 8 pm. My kids go to bed at 8 pm. Yeah it worked once or twice then I grounded him from watching it cause he didn't pick his room up. :(

Quoting Tfor2:

try this but add to it standing in the doorway of the bedroom and watching them. Sometimes at this age they still need a little direction. Dont do it for them but stand there and say things like "you are doing good, almost done" or  "dont forget those books". After a couple weeks of this you can start sending him in there and checking in 5 minute intervals. THen a few weeks after that  send him in and only check at the end. Eventually he will get it. Its about beingconsistant and creating habits in him just like we have to create in ourselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)