Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get it clean and make it stay that way?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM
  • 22 Replies

How do you do it? How do you manage to keep a house clean with a 19 month old who is a destruction queen and a husband who is soooo unorganized that he throws he stuff everywhere? Literally I can go clean up my child's mess that she made and turn around b/c she got into something else and destroyed it then get that cleaned up and theres another big mess. Its like I am repeating myself in circles all day. Then trying to clean up after my husband who I love dearly but he is so unorganized. I had no idea when I got married that my name would become "Honey, wheres my" Honey, have you seen my". So how do you keep a clean house and also find time for yourself. I need to get organized somehow but I feel like I am coming unglued here.

Now to mention we do not have a lot of room and we have so much crap.

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovearcen
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM
When mine were that age I ran around in circles to
As far as keeping the house clean
For me it got easier over time
As far as my DF it took years of bitching and very well placed. Catch all baskets I have them in every room
I just throw all their crap in the baskets Makes cleaning a little easier when the baskets get full they get cleaned out I even have one for toys and children's books in the living room
Thrift stores are a great place to look for some
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Set perameters for your daughter.  If she's getting into the pans and pulling them out 5 times a day, put a child lock on the cabinet.  I believe in getting kids to learn what they can and can't get into, however certain kids take longer then others and it's not worth your sanity. 

Don't expect it to be spotless right now.  Just make it liveable lol.  There will come a time when you can keep it cleaner, enjoy your baby right now. 

AzariahsMother
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I don't have a 19 month old, so not problems here.  I think you have to remember you can't be super woman no matter how hard you try.  Taking it 1 day, 1 room, 1 task at a time.  Try not to over work yourself and remember there is always tomorrow.

JessicaPoff
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Thank you so much for the advice. Thats one reason why my house is a mess and we don't have a lot of room b/c the things that she likes to get into we had to put else where b/c those child locks do not work with her. She knows how to work them better then I do. Like my cleaning supplies are put on my kitchen counter tops where she can't read them yet I have no room on my counter tops for much else. I had to rearrange everything to where she can't get a hold of it and therefore I have ran out of room. LOL Its a mess and so disorganized here at my house. But it can't be helped.

Quoting MamaJane:

Set perameters for your daughter.  If she's getting into the pans and pulling them out 5 times a day, put a child lock on the cabinet.  I believe in getting kids to learn what they can and can't get into, however certain kids take longer then others and it's not worth your sanity. 

Don't expect it to be spotless right now.  Just make it liveable lol.  There will come a time when you can keep it cleaner, enjoy your baby right now. 

nickygsmommy
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM

You need to take each problem and find the root of it. Your daughter is getting into things because there are things she can get into.  You tried one solution (child locks) and it didn't work. That doesn't mean you give up. Be creative. There are plenty of solutions to that problem. Have you tried the magnetic locks you need a "key" to open? Have you tried taking everything out of those cabinets and finding another home for them?

As far as your DH is concerned. Have you tried working with him to find systems he WILL use? Mine claims he likes to read the newspaper, so we go t a subscription. What really ends up happening is that I bring it in, read the comics, and set it out on the counter for him. He never reads it, and they pile up. SO..... I told him "This doesn't work for me. I can't stand to see a mess of papers out all the time. Where would you like me to put the paper if you haven't read it by the following day?" His response "You can put them inside my nightstand, and I will go through them when I feel like reading one." You may have to pick up his little messes every evening before bed if YOU WANT a clean house. It's not fair, but would you rather be mad he won't do it or happy that you took a little time so you could enjoy your clean home?

Life is full of things that never go our way. You can make excuses for why you can't do things and why your plans aren't working, or you can get creative and find a way to fix it.  Find a way to take back control.

brlee1115
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Lock everyone in one room!! Just kidding! It's a vicious cycle and it never ends! I feel like I'm walking in circles for 10 hours.

Also, I hate clutter...it makes my skin crawl! If it hasn't been used in a while, I toss it. My husband will keep extra bs and will be thrown into some box. He never uses the stuff so I throw it out.

I don't like stuff on my kitchen counters, table, or dishes left in the sink. Toaster and such are put under the cabinet and dishes are thrown in the dishwasher. Another pet-peeve is when my son leaves rags in the sink or food in the strainer...I can just ring his neck!

As for your baby, try to skim back on some toys. Just put some away and change them out. That way there's not so much to clean up. I have 4 and 2-year old boys and it's a headache. I also have bins that they use for cars, legos, train tracks, etc. It usually works. If it doesn't,  then they "clean" it up.

I use to fret over getting the whole house done in one day. Since I'm a SAHM I try to tackle 1 or 2 rooms a day. That helps a lot and I'm not stressed all the time.

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I eliminate clutter and then just keep recleaning. I haven't found out a way to keep it that way either l. I have a two year old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Quoting brlee1115:

Lock everyone in one room!! Just kidding! It's a vicious cycle and it never ends! I feel like I'm walking in circles for 10 hours.

Also, I hate clutter...it makes my skin crawl! If it hasn't been used in a while, I toss it. My husband will keep extra bs and will be thrown into some box. He never uses the stuff so I throw it out.

I don't like stuff on my kitchen counters, table, or dishes left in the sink. Toaster and such are put under the cabinet and dishes are thrown in the dishwasher. Another pet-peeve is when my son leaves rags in the sink or food in the strainer...I can just ring his neck!

As for your baby, try to skim back on some toys. Just put some away and change them out. That way there's not so much to clean up. I have 4 and 2-year old boys and it's a headache. I also have bins that they use for cars, legos, train tracks, etc. It usually works. If it doesn't, Β then they "clean" it up.

I use to fret over getting the whole house done in one day. Since I'm a SAHM I try to tackle 1 or 2 rooms a day. That helps a lot and I'm not stressed all the time.

Good advice and I feel your pain lol

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Quoting Caitlin411:

I put up a baby gate as I clean I block off the clean part and work my way to the other side of the house.

I feel your pain. My youngest is 19 months and she is the biggest handful. She's our last so my husband I always joke that she is ending our baby stage with a bang!

I do this as well

lovemymarine18
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM

You don't lol. I have a 21 month old and a 3 month old. I get the big boy to help me pick up toys and whatever. IF they both take a nap, I work on what I can, I pick up and do a little cleaning after they're in bed, and my house is not perfect, but I know it won't be this way forever so I try my best to keep that in mind, enjoy them and let some things go. It's hard :-/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)