Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Panini press maybe works for toaster?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am having trouble getting all of the crumbs out of my toaster, even with all of the great suggestions I got in this group.  I hesitate to get a toaster oven just for toasting bread and English muffins. Toaster ovens take up counter space, and I like to store my toaster away between uses.  So I am thinking of getting a panini grill.  No crumbs collect, as far as I can tell. I  can also use it for heating sandwiches, if I want, which maybe I won't. But mainly I won't have crumbs sitting in an appliance and attracting bugs. I've read the reviews on several panini grills, and it seems that they can be stored on their ends.

What do you think? 

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I've never heard of one, bump!

johnny4ever
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:08 AM

bump

Tfor2
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM

i think that would be a good idea. If you have a target near by, check them out. THey had some on clearance for 70% off which made them $3. That was a coulple weeks ago though but its worth cheicking out.

Bmat
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Wow! If I could get one for that price I would for sure!

Quoting Tfor2:

i think that would be a good idea. If you have a target near by, check them out. THey had some on clearance for 70% off which made them $3. That was a coulple weeks ago though but its worth cheicking out.

MamaJane
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I've never heard of one but I've been looking into it too.  My family really likes their toast and ever since you brought it up it grosses me out.

Bmat
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Here's something else that I hate thinking about but have since the subject came up, how about toasters in restaurants. I expect they are shaken out, but I wonder how much crumb residue is still there. I also know that some places have toasters where the bread goes in the top and comes out of the bottom. I wonder how often they are cleaned. When I toast raisin bread, often there are raisins stuck to the wires, and bagels are dense so their crumbs are dense, too. Mainly I wonder about bugs feasting on the crumbs and residue.

Quoting MamaJane:

I've never heard of one but I've been looking into it too.  My family really likes their toast and ever since you brought it up it grosses me out.

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I say go for it. I have always wanted a panini toaster. And if you want to be able to store it without taking up counter space, it sounds perfect for you.

I am addicted to panini's lol

Shlamoof
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Why not?

MamaJane
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM

The other day, when I pulled out my oven, the whole glass piece came off the front.  That's not supposed to come off, ever, lol. But it was  so gross! There were crumbs in there and grease streaks.  EW!  I cleaned it out and I thought of you!  LOL  But holy crap even the inside of the oven door!

Tom did get it back on and then tightened the screw on the handle because that's why it fell off.

Quoting Bmat:

Here's something else that I hate thinking about but have since the subject came up, how about toasters in restaurants. I expect they are shaken out, but I wonder how much crumb residue is still there. I also know that some places have toasters where the bread goes in the top and comes out of the bottom. I wonder how often they are cleaned. When I toast raisin bread, often there are raisins stuck to the wires, and bagels are dense so their crumbs are dense, too. Mainly I wonder about bugs feasting on the crumbs and residue.

Quoting MamaJane:

Bmat
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I love paninis, too. I had one at panera's the other day called Mediterranean panini-  it included guacamoli,  roasted peppers, tomato, zucchini. 

Quoting MeganGallagher:

I say go for it. I have always wanted a panini toaster. And if you want to be able to store it without taking up counter space, it sounds perfect for you.

I am addicted to panini's lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)