Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it cleaned like Grandma would do it? How do you check on your kids chores?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:04 AM
  • 14 Replies

Is it cleaned like Grandma would do it?

I was talking to a sweet friend this week-end about her parents living with her (temporarily). One of the things she mentioned is that it has really helped her children. Her parents are from a different era – one where diligence and hard work were honored and expected. And her mom is a tremendously organized person. So, when her children clean, she asks them if the cleaning is done to what Grandma would do.

Washing Pictures, Images and Photos

courtesy of photobucket: nursesnaturally

I LOVED THAT!!

As many of you know, Olga Organized is NOT my name. We tend to be a Pile Family. We have school stuff in piles (because we use it every day as we school year round), we have clothes in piles, we have books in piles. Part of it is that there are 9 pack rats in my family, part of it is that we have no closets, part of it is that no one wants to go to our cellar to store things! *shudder*

But organization is something that is always hard for me. I LOVE an organized home (as my friend and I were discussing, it is very peaceful), but it is hard for me to get us from Point A to Point Q (we live a long way from Organized Alley). And most of my children are as deficient in this as I am. The problem is they don’t really care. BUT since I do, this is going to be our goal for this summer. I will be better training the younger ones (mostly boys) to do an EXCELLENT job with cleaning!

This week we’ll be working on the Boys’ Room: declutter, clean, simplify and organize.

They have grown out of a lot of things in their room. They just don’t have the heart to admit it and to let go of it. I, on the other hand, can be RUTHLESS! If I could get 1 dresser that was large enough, we could get rid of the tiny one we have (plus the Yaffa blocks, which Elizabeth wants for her photography stuff), we’d have room enough for their clothes. The fact that they have the only working closet in the house will open that up for the girls to share.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM

tfs

Pherlyce
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:12 AM

My kids rooms are always clean, they are very neat and organize teenagers. When they are very young I show them how to do it and I guess I have so much patience with my kids, since my DD's and DS turn teens they start doing the same way I am cleaning our home, now my kids are 18, 17 and 15 years old they will clean our home every weekend. They said is my off days. I am proud of them because at their age they are very good maintaining our home.

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM
honestly, the only rule for my son's room is "can I walk from the door to the dresser on the back wall? Even if it's just a path. Medical issues have come up for me that have kept me from being on top of things....this Saturday (God willing I feel up to it) He knows that directions will be given for clean up, including getting rid of some of his nerf gun arsenal. I hope I feel up to it....he's a great son, but of course, he needs reminders for cleaning and I haven't been up to it.....but when I had trouble opening his door (lol) I realized how lax he had gotten.
Shlamoof
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I check on it by just making sure they did it to their best abilities.

Tfor2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Quoting Shlamoof:

I check on it by just making sure they did it to their best abilities.

This, and then I show them things that still need to be done and if needed I help them do it so they will learn!

Bmat
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM

One son was organized, the other wasn't. 

wandep
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM

thanks for the info

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM
My grandmother taught my mother and my mom taught me so yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymom729
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM

My boys do a good job on their rooms.  They do their own laundry also.

MamaJane
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:16 PM

That's funny because when the kids clean their rooms I always ask "Is it Trevor clean or mommy clean?"

We'd have to go back to my grandma lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)