Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*sigh* always something

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM
  • 23 Replies

We hired a contractor to pull up the carpet in the basement room, replace the ceiling tiles. fix a wall that we  knew had termite damage. Well he discovered that the termite damage extend along the entire wall,  5X the area that we had thought, and that the paneling will need replacing the entire area, so the paneling arrived today, and as he was bringing the paneling in to cut it to size, I saw water on the floor near the wall. I turns out there is a pipe leaking at the concrete floor. So I called a plumber, who is coming today, but it appears that a hole will need to be cut in the concrete now to fix the  pipe.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.KanaLee.
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I feel you.... home ownership can be s PIA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Sorry, I hate when things like that happen all at once. :(

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM
What awful luck. I'm sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tfor2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM
That sucks, however, imagine the damage had the leaky pipe not been found!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

This is what the contractor said.  At least the wall wasn't up yet and we could see the leak. 

Quoting Tfor2:

That sucks, however, imagine the damage had the leaky pipe not been found!

Bmat
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

The plumber came very quickly- I was anxious about the contractor not being able to proceed. The plumber drilled a hole around the pipe, found that it had rusted through, and put a replacement in. The contractor will get some cement and fill in the hole now.

crazymom729
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Oh damn!

MamaJane
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Oh no!

LindaClement
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

did you ever watch This Old House?

Bob Vila calls it the 'might as wells'... you open this thing up and find those four other problems, and since it's open, you might as well... and $50k later...

Bmat
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM

LOL!  The contractor, and we, never figured the job would be this major. He had to replace the studs because of termite damage, then we had to pay to have the house retreated for termites,  then the paneling replaced because of termite damage, now the pipe fixed and the floor, then he'll be back to the orignal job, which shouldn't have been that much.

Quoting LindaClement:

did you ever watch This Old House?

Bob Vila calls it the 'might as wells'... you open this thing up and find those four other problems, and since it's open, you might as well... and $50k later...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)