• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mean mommy at wits end

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM
  • 29 Replies
My kids make my apt a filthy hovel everyday. I stay up til 3am cleaning every night what i couldn't keep on top of during the day. As I'm cleaning one mess, my kids are creating 3 more. I don't mean toys or clothes on the floor. That i can handle.

They get into my kitchen cabinets, my bathroom, my closets, the fridge...anywhere to can think of.

I'm cleaning their room because they decided to make a salad on their carpet. I walk into the living room and I find food everywhere, my makeup everywhere, and shampoo ground into the carpet.

My son is sitting in a corner crying. I'm sitting on the couch obviously on CM, and my daughter is picking up trash. Nobody is happy right now.

I've reached my wits end. I am so pissed at everything getting destroyed, using my time, and wasting my money. I spent $200 in groceries last night. I think about $50 of it is wasted since It's been used as an art project on the carpet.

I have no way of blocking off an area to keep the kids in. They've figured out baby gates. They've broken every lock I've installed on my fridge and cabinets.

I have no place to put anything.

I want to pull my hair out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mm_mom515
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Aww, I'm sorry.  How many kids do you have and how old are they?

SandraJo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM
2 kids. DD is 5 and DS is just about 2. They act like perfect angels for their dad though, but he's away for awhile since he joined the Army. I'm hoping when we move we.can get a house where we have room and places to put things and i can create boundaries for the kids.

Quoting mm_mom515:

Aww, I'm sorry.  How many kids do you have and how old are they?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megsmom05
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM

You are not mean....you are the mom!  The kids do NOT have the right to destroy where they live or the things you provide for them.  Ok, so the 2 year old doesn't know better but the 5 year old?  I'm not trying to be rude but they apparently need boundaries.  Each child is different and my now 16 year old would never have DREAMED of doing the things my 7 year old daughter does....she's very sneaky.  However, we would never allow her to destroy anything and if she does something then there are punishments for her actions. Sounds like they know you will clean it up with no consequences and they will continue to take advantage of that until you stop it.   I mean goodness!  3 a.m. cleaning?!  You need some sleep too mom....

mm_mom515
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Do they have things to occupy them?   what about time outs if they get into things

SandraJo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:57 PM
I know my kids have just taken advantage of the fact I clean up after them. I have hardly any patience to watch my DD SLOWLY pick up a piece of trash.

I've thrown away my DDs toys when she treats them like trash. It doesn't phase her. She cries while I'm doing it, and within an hour, she's forgotten about it. All she and her brother have left are stuffed animals, blankets and clothes.

Yelling, time outs, taking things away, making them clean it themselves, nothing seems to work. I even resorted to spanking for a little while. Doesn't phase them.

I go to the bathroom and find a mess when i come out.

We live in a tiny tiny 1 bedroom apt, with no real way to section off the bedroom. No furniture except the kids beds, and a couch and their dresser. Everything is in totes. They can reach the top shelves of my cabinets and closets.

I can't wait til we move. DH wants to get furniture when that happens. That way, we'll actually have places to put things.

I really don't know what to do.

Quoting megsmom05:

You are not mean....you are the mom!  The kids do NOT have the right to destroy where they live or the things you provide for them.  Ok, so the 2 year old doesn't know better but the 5 year old?  I'm not trying to be rude but they apparently need boundaries.  Each child is different and my now 16 year old would never have DREAMED of doing the things my 7 year old daughter does....she's very sneaky.  However, we would never allow her to destroy anything and if she does something then there are punishments for her actions. Sounds like they know you will clean it up with no consequences and they will continue to take advantage of that until you stop it.   I mean goodness!  3 a.m. cleaning?!  You need some sleep too mom....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SandraJo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM
They get time outs. I try my best to keep them occupied. We go to the park almost daily, go on walks, read books together, color, etc...

Quoting mm_mom515:

Do they have things to occupy them?   what about time outs if they get into things

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM

5 years old isnt to early to start chores....or help you out!

epilepsymom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM
been there seems like saily!! I 'pay' her marbles for chores done but also remove privelages when she makes a mess.. Keep it clean or lose the ds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Does your oldest respect you?I had this problem for about a year...he walked all over me!But I put my big foot down eventually!

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Awww i am so sorry hun

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)