Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of living walls? Would you try one yourself?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:04 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

Here's How to Make a Living Wall Right in Your Own Garden! 

Posted by Amy Kuras on April 25, 2012 

Have you ever seen a living wall? Sounds like something out of a horror movie ("the walls...are alive!") but it's actually the exact opposite of horrible. Living walls (also known as green walls, garden walls, or vertical gardens) are the hottest thing in garden design these days.

They evoke a feeling of being in a jungle, almost, with lush green plants growing thickly right out of a wall so that you don't even see the structure, just the plants.

And not only are they really cool looking. they serve an Earth-friendly purpose. All those plants purify and freshen the air.

The downside? Plant walls can be pricey...some systems cost thousands of dollars. But in the latest episode of Mom-Ed: Green Living on CafeMom Studios, you'll learn how to do it yourself for a fraction of the cost of premade planters...and it's greener, too!

Here's what you need:

Coco matting -- also known as coco fiber or coir fiber and available at most big garden centers

Plants -- use a mix of trailing plants and colorful ones for best results

Soil

And that's it! You just make a pocket out of the matting, cut some slits in the front to allow some plants to grow straight out, fill it with plants and soil, and hang it up. Water it , make sure it gets sunlight, and before too long you'll have a fancy garden wall for very little money. You can plant several in a row, as well, so you get the lush, green look of a mature wall faster.

If you want to go more refined, you can buy metal or wicker window boxes already lined with the matting and mount those high on a fence to get a similar effect. You could probably even do this with things like lettuce and spinach and make an edible wall!

Interested in green topics? Then subscribe to Mom-Ed: Green Living on CafeMom Studios for tips on making green living fun for you and your family.

What do you think of living walls? Would you try one yourself?

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Tracy on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM

neat..no

wandep
by Pam on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Ditto.

Quoting johnny4ever:

neat..no

woliung8153
by Sarah on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM
I would not personally do one but that is cool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tazmidgiefairy
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM
not my style
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kylesmommy916
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM

It's a cool idea but I do not have a green thumb.  My wall would be dead in days ... LOL

Momtogirls0823
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Cool idea, but not for me.  

MamaJane
by Jane on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Quoting kylesmommy916:

It's a cool idea but I do not have a green thumb.  My wall would be dead in days ... LOL

Lmao!

justahousewife
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I could see my living room wall covered in plants. I already have a sub-tropical jungle growing in my dining room. Very cool! :) Of course my wall would be edible. 

MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM
I think it's kind of creepy for some reason
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeganGallagher
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:55 PM
Lol

Quoting MamaJane:

Quoting kylesmommy916:

Lmao!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)