Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Woman's Day Cleaning Mistake #3

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

Mistake #3: You use vinegar or lemon juice on everything because you think it’s mild.

With so much emphasis on organic cleaning products these days, it seems like a no-brainer to go all-natural. But both lemon juice and vinegar are acids which can damage natural surfaces such as marble, limestone, travertine and onyx. “They will permanently dull the appearance of stone, which can be expensive to have refinished,” says Vance. However, a vinegar solution (1 Tbsp vinegar mixed with 1/2 gallon water) is fine for removing soap scum and water scale from surfaces such as fiberglass tubs, ceramic tile and showerheads. But for natural stones, stick to neutral cleaning solutions designed specifically for them. Go to UseNaturalStone.com to learn more about how to care for the natural surfaces in your home. Photo: Shutterstock

Found at:  Woman's Day
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Shlamoof
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM

I might be guilty of this, but not because I think vinegar is mild.  Only because I know it's not toxic.

LuvUSoMuch
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I haven't used lemon juice on anything so I'm not guilty of this mistake, but the 1st 2 mistakes - yes! Thank you for posting these articles!

johnny4ever
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM

tfs

Tfor2
by Tiff on May. 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

hmmmm... make sense I guess

MamaJane
by Jane on May. 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Nope I know it's acidic.  I don't own anything it could hurt lol.  Everything I have (right now) is kid and vinegar friendly.  In other words, crappy construction grade.

lynnd4
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM
I use it a lot but not on my marble and granite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momtogirls0823
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM

The only stone we have is our fireplace surround.  Everything else is laminate floor, and carpet which eventually will be wood laminate.  I will be sure not to use it on the surround!  tfs!

itsallabtthem84
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I don't use it on everything so not that guilty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)