Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about screen free week?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

'Screen-Free Week' Is a Wicked Stupid Idea

Posted by Suzanne Murray on April 30, 2012 

kids tvIf you have't heard, April 30 to May 6 is Screen-Free Week, which means that your kids are supposed to give up TV and entertainment computer time for 7 whole days. Instead, they're supposed to "unplug and play, read, daydream, create, explore, and spend time with family and friends."

What a bunch of baloney.

If you ask me, Screen-Free Week -- the brainchild of the Campaign for a Commerical-Free Childhood -- is everything that's wrong with our country today.

It's a (very) temporary band-Aid on a very big boo-boo. Kids should be unplugging, playing, and daydreaming EVERY day of EVERY week. Not just one special week every year. Because let's face it, kids who do watch TV and play computer games have already smoked the crack pipe. They're going to hate Screen-Free week. All week long, they're going to drive their parents crazy. They'll try to sneak on the computer and turn on the TV when no one's paying attention. And if these kids are usually watching TV and playing computer games in their free time then it's very likely no one is paying attention anyway. And as soon as Screen-Free Week is over, they'll be back to their old habits and mom and dad will be more relieved than they are.

It's kind of like taking a kid who eats junk food all the time and putting him on a one-week crash "healthy" diet. All of a sudden he's told he has to eat fish, veggies, fruits, and beef (the real thing not the McDonald's version) for a WHOLE WEEK. Of course he's going to complain and hate it. Of course he's going to make mom and dad miserable and wish they never insisted on this one-week healthy diet and of course he's going to go straight back to eating all that crap once the week is up. (Hey, lots of adults do the same thing when they go on diets.) The point is, your child should be eating healthfully all along. He's not going to learn how to eat healthfully in a week. That's why crash diets fail. Being healthy is a lifestyle not a week-long endeavor.

Similarly, no kid is going to be weaned from TV or Facebook in a week and realize the wonders of a Screen-Free world. It's too late, he's already addicted. Mom and Dad should have exposed him to those wonders years ago -- should have cultivated his imagination, and let him figure out how to entertain himself when he was bored. Kids need to be given the benefit of the doubt that yes, they are smart enough and creative enough and curious enough to keep themselves occupied while mom is making dinner. Don't sell your kid short. Throw out your TV.

Just think, given the time and space to explore and use his OWN imagination every day, your kid could grow up to be the next Walt Disney.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Tracy on May. 1, 2012 at 7:19 AM

We could do it!

woliung8153
by Sarah on May. 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM
It could be done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smile357
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

In October here in CT we had a virtually no screen week. There was only radio for about 6 days. No power is a wonderful thing sometimes. We actually found that my kids found other things to do. We had more family time, he played with his imagination and lego's and took walks. If not screen free I think every thing should be cut back.

MeganGallagher
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM
My son barely watches it. We can do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justahousewife
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Our evenings have gone from board games to wii games that the whole family (even the 4yo) can participate in so we're not sitting down around the table after dinner. 

I don't think I'd want to give up our evenings just to "unplug" for a week. We love the active fun.

I see nothing wrong with watching tv; watching some else imagination/creativity/dreams. 

Moms_Angels1960
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

We couldn't do it it is going on right now & here we are on the computer & watching TV

Shlamoof
by Tiffany on May. 1, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My oldest did it for school and she didn't drive me crazy, she did great :)

AzariahsMother
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Hmmm I dont think we would be able to do it. Of course if we had to or for a school project we could. Guess its a need vs a want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:05 PM

It can be done, I think.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I think i'll pass, lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)