Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing
Did anyone teach you how to clean and take care of your home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
Jenni_Lynne71
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM
I mainly learned by watching. I was never "taught" to clean something; I was " told" to clean something. Our house was clean growing up but mom also had "piles" of stuff on end tables, the china hutch, her dresser, etc. I am the opposite for the most part. If my house starts to get cluttered I "freak out" and will go on a cleaning spree. My SO actually told me when we were first together that I cleaned TOO much. LOL. Oh well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epilepsymom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Not really.. We had chores we had to do or else!! We learned the hardway if something was done wrong.. Like if we stashed stuff under our bed!! We were never told the "right" way to make a bed etc.

AzariahsMother
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I don't think she really sate down and to teach me, but just watching her while I was growing up.

smile357
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:02 PM

My mom was a neat freak.  I didn't pick that part of but I do know how to do a through job on a lot of things.

tazmidgiefairy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM
kinda she taught me had to do wash most of my cooking was by my uncle or self taught
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:43 AM

I guess, but she's not a very good housekeeper.  I am .  ;)

hjlmama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
No, I wasn't taught to clean or cook. My Mom always thought she was a SAHM and it was her job and my job was to enjoy childhood. I've since told her that while I had a great childhood she didn't prepare me for being on my own. I'm a good cook and deceit housekeeper because I want to be. My children have chores that they Reresponsible for, I want them prepared.
isaboo22
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Not so much taught me how to do things for when I grew up. It was more or less, teaching me how SHE liked things. Never really taught me HOW to cook, just instructed me once in a while to do little steps of HER process.  My dad taught me how to make scrambled eggs. he wasn't much of a cook, but it was always me & him in the mornings, and when he did cook the few things he knew how to, he got me involved. I more or less, taught myself things.  Now its funny becuase me and DH are in our first house -- MY first house ever. I ask him stupid questions a lot and have to remind him "You need to teach me. I never lived in a house before. My extenent of knowing how to get things fixed is to pick up the phone and call maintance." LOL

nickygsmommy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM

My mom taught me HOW to clean things, but she struggled with depression (still does but not as bad), and her cleaning strategy was to do anything she could to avoid cleaning until it couldn't be avoided any longer. Then, she'd get a hair up her you-know-what and decide we needed to clean the entire house. As I got older, I watched my friends moms (the ones who had clean houses), and saw that they were always putting things away (or telling us to) if we left them out.  It was very noticeable when something was left out because there wasn't clutter everywhere. As a teenager, I cleaned up my room, got rid of a ton of old stuff, and kept everything put away.  I still didn't have any real strategy for "running a household," but I was able to keep my room tidy.  When XDH and I got our first apartment, we were both working so much and to exhausted from life in the real world that things started to get messy.  That's when I found FlyLady online, and her loving words have made her like a surrogate mother to me, teaching me how to clean my home without spending hours and feeling like it's a chore.  In hindsight, I'm amazed that I couldn't figure it out on my own, but sometimes things like that just don't click for some reason.

.KanaLee.
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Each one of your answers touches my heart. *hugs*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN