Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

I'm so overwhelmed.

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM
  • 24 Replies
I offered to clean a friends house knowing it was pretty dirty, but had just been professionally cleaned a little over a week ago. I was not expecting this though. It's pretty bad. I don't even know where to start so I just started sweeping and cleaning windows and taking out trash so I felt a little cleaner in here. But I can see the downstairs alone taking days, and I'm sure the upstairs is worse, but I haven't even looked yet.

So what should I do? I need a plan of action if I'm going to accomplish this. Give me your lists of how you think you would tackle it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
Today at 5:59 AM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM

It was only cleaned a week ago?I am wandering how bad this place looks.Is their toys..trash everywhere?You are a great friend to offer your time!

victoriaherring
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Yeah. The person who cleaned her house must have seriously sucked. There is crap all over the floor. It looks like it hasn't been swept in months. Under all the dirt it's sticky. Everything is. Stuff has been spilt in countertops and never wiped up so all of that is sticky. Clutter everywhere. I mean it's not too cluttered, its like random piles in corners, not all over the the middle of the floor. Except in the laundry room where clothes are piled. I'm not sure if they are clean or dirty. There was a pile of dirty diapers right by the trash can. Dog hair everywhere. The floors all need shampooing. The windows had a thick layer of dirt and then sticky baby hand prints. And that is just downstairs. I went upstairs and the babies rooms aren't too bad, but she warned me not to even bother with her room cause she is too embarrassed.

In her defense she had 2 babies under 18mo. Her husband is overseas and she just found out he was running around so she is seriously depressed. Also she is active duty too and stays busy away from home. I don't think she ever has time for herself. Anyone else I would yell at and tell them they need to clean up, but she is having a hard time I know. If I'm overwhelmed with her house though I can't imagine how she feels living here.

Quoting johnny4ever:

It was only cleaned a week ago?I am wandering how bad this place looks.Is their toys..trash everywhere?You are a great friend to offer your time!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lioness3e
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I work in the professional organizing and cleaning industries. I'm on a organizing job that sound like your friends home. I've called in the cleaning company I contract with a couple days a month for an estimate.

Let me give you a little perspective on a situation like this.This will vary depending on size of home, ect. However, it'll give you an idea.

During the initial consultation with the cleaning company I was told...It'll take a crew of 4 people 8 hours during the first visit of 3 to clean this house. That will be a total of 32 hours in one day time spent on this house. It has to be washed top to bottom. It'll take 4 people. So I can see why you are overwhelmed.

I'd work one room at a time. Work top to bottom until that room is complete and then move onto the next. Start with kitchen,then bathrooms and move onto living areas. The detail areas are alway the kitchen and baths. 

epilepsymom
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I start with the room that is the most used. Normally the 'front' room.. Start at the ceiling work down. Pile all the trash in a corner.. Declutter first then worry about vacuming and windows

victoriaherring
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM
So far I've mopped and swept the living room and kitchen. Also done the countertops and stove as well as vacuuming furniture. Those rooms weren't bad clutter wise. I've also washed the windows and window seals downstairs and the bathroom mirror. Plus I've washed dishes and started laundry. My husband is here to help now and he has vacuumed one room upstairs and is washing the windows up there now. I've also cleaned all the door knobs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lioness3e
by on May. 2, 2012 at 4:08 PM

It's very nice of him to come help you out. Can the home owner help, as well?

Quoting victoriaherring:

So far I've mopped and swept the living room and kitchen. Also done the countertops and stove as well as vacuuming furniture. Those rooms weren't bad clutter wise. I've also washed the windows and window seals downstairs and the bathroom mirror. Plus I've washed dishes and started laundry. My husband is here to help now and he has vacuumed one room upstairs and is washing the windows up there now. I've also cleaned all the door knobs.

wandep
Feeling excited for the New Year! :)
Yesterday at 7:03 PM
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I agree with Cheri. Good luck!

victoriaherring
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM
She was super busy today, but it was easy without her around. I didnt feel like every move was being watched. We weren't able to finish, but what is left is definitely manageable for her. She said they were eating outside so they didn't get the house dirty.

Quoting lioness3e:

It's very nice of him to come help you out. Can the home owner help, as well?

Quoting victoriaherring:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

If it was only cleaned a week ago what the heck did they really do.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I wonder the same thing, the pros should have done a better job, it sounds like.

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

If it was only cleaned a week ago what the heck did they really do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN