Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Organizing shopping lists

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am a busy working mom to two very active girls.  I love my kids, play on the floor in the fort with them, take them to the park, and love them always!  I can't imagine life without them!

school bus       school bus

by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momtogirls0823
by on May. 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Woops!  I was trying to post while talking to my dd and I accidentally hit enter!  I'm sorry!  Here's the rest of my post!  

I have been having a problem with getting overwhelmed while grocery shopping.  I go through my list and then realize I have gone WAY over my limit.  I was thinking on the way home that next time I would make it into two lists.  One would be the things we need.  The other would be good deals I want to take advantage of.  I would, of course, shop the "things I need" list first.  

How do you organize your shopping list?  Does this sound like a good idea?  Thanks for any input!  :)

wandep
by Pam on May. 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM

That sounds like a great idea. We just normally put ours all together on one list.

itsallabtthem84
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I only purchase what we need and use. 

MamaJane
by Jane on May. 3, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I only shop sales lol and then I have a few things to add on that we need.  For instance there's b/s chicken for 1.89/pound so I spend about $25 in chicken.  I cook and bag it and put it in the freezer.  So the next week when chicken isn't on sale I don't need to buy it. 

MamaJane
by Jane on May. 3, 2012 at 10:48 PM

And also by shopping store adds I always have the prices right there and am able to know about how much my bill will be before I get to the store.

KJPsMommy
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I write things down on my list as they run low and then I recheck my kitchen just before I go grocery shopping. I usually highlight what I need now and the unhighlighted is what I need but can get when money becomes available. Im usually good about sticking to my list since I have been trying to eat healthier and have lost 13 pounds by doing so. When I go to the grocery store I sometimes grab a flier so as to see what the specials are but most of the time I find my new recipes to try online and then create my list so there are no distractions. Hope this helps.

amgrays
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I created a spreadsheet for our most common items that shows how much the item costs at the stores we most commonly frequent. When I make my list I put a colored mark by the items for which store it's ideal to purchase it at - Walmart, Sams, Publix, Food Lion, etc. If I see an item on sale I can reference it to see if it's really a good deal or not - Publix had dog food on sale last week, but it still worked out cheaper to buy it at Sams.

LDavis33
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I only include necessities on my list.  If there is a good deal on one of the necessities, I'll take advantage of it.  I add up the total as I am shopping, and if there is room left in my budget I'll allow myself a few non-essentials (usually from the deli - maybe a premade lasagna or some deli salads or something along those lines).  

RhondaVeggie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM
I buy things as I need them. There are very few items that I stock up on at the grocery store, things like pasta and canned tomatoes come from the wholesale club, so my grocery list is usually about 90% produce and occasionally a small package of cookies for lunches. My weekly grocery bill is almost always under $40 for the three of us plus another $80 or so per month at the wholesale club and other stores.
Shlamoof
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I usually shop only deals that we like, but sometimes I also buy whatever looks good.  I am very fickle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)