Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

I think I might become a hoarder...

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm not lazy, I clean all the time but my room (I share a room with my family at my parents house) is always messy! I go to school full time and clean all the time but some times my room just looks like it's off the show Hoarders or Hoarding: buried alive! Like right now, I can't see most of my desk, or my boyfriends desk, my dresser, filing cabinet and all the shelves and ledges in my room (I have a ledge that goes the length of two walls) are over flowing with stuff! I have stuff on my floor and no matter what I do it always comes back. I do throw away stuff, usually about a garbage bag a week, so I don't hoard garbage. It's a lot of clothes, paper work, toys, dishes waiting to go up stairs. I regularly take piles of stuff and put it in the basement just so I don't have to see it any more, but it keeps coming back. I don't know if this is because we live in such a small space (We have two beds, a dresser, two desks with computers, a TV/stand, and file cabinet, plus a DVD rack and a table and chair for our son all in one room), or because my boyfriend doesn't clean enough (it doesn't help that he travels for work and is gone for months at a time) or what, but I don't know what to do anymore!

Can anyone please help me? I don't want to end up on that show!!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsallabtthem84
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM
I don't know how old your child is but have you thought of getting a bunks bed with a full size bed on bottom? Or even a trundle bed to go under your bed. Is there an actual need for both computer desks? Have you thought about list putting the tv on top of your dresser? Or even puttingo the dresser in the closestz
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Sort for any typos. Auto correct dislikes me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJane
by Jane on May. 7, 2012 at 7:12 AM

It doesn't sound like you hoard.  It just sounds like you are 3 people trying to live in one room.  It's tough but it can be done.  I agree that getting rid of some of your larger furniture will help.  Get creative with your storage. Under beds, up walls, behind doors.

Shlamoof
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Do you have a donation station in your home?  I have a box in my kitchen and whenever I see something that I don't need anymore, I just toss it in.  Doesn't stop me from needing to desperately purge the house, but when I have the main purge out of the way, the box will keep the house from becoming too crowded.

MeganGallagher
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM
You should donate some stuff
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeganGallagher
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Good idea

Quoting Shlamoof:

Do you have a donation station in your home?  I have a box in my kitchen and whenever I see something that I don't need anymore, I just toss it in.  Doesn't stop me from needing to desperately purge the house, but when I have the main purge out of the way, the box will keep the house from becoming too crowded.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lioness3e
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Hoarding is considered a mental illness. Based on what you wrote, the issue sound like its situational circumstances. 

Your delaying making decisions in which is causing a backlog of stuff to pile up. Make those decisions and donate what you've decided not to keep. Get it out of your space and home. I guarantee if you work through this process of sorting purging and discarding you'll see a difference.

Work with limits. Put a number on how much you're going to keep. Cloths, books, DVD's ect. Use the 1 in 1 out rule. This will help you maintain your space. You can only have so  much in a limited space. You'd be amazed at what you can live without. Good luck!

epilepsymom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:24 PM

My room was close.. I swear it was a catch all.. I spent the best part of two days in there.. I took out 2 garbage bags and 2 donation bags.. I just sat my self down in there and looked at every item if I could not think of an immediate use for an item it either got trashed or donated!!! The free store loved me today!!!

la_bella_vita
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Quoting MamaJane:

It doesn't sound like you hoard.  It just sounds like you are 3 people trying to live in one room.  It's tough but it can be done.  I agree that getting rid of some of your larger furniture will help.  Get creative with your storage. Under beds, up walls, behind doors.

This

Bmat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I am moving this up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)