Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Do you keep it simple? Does it seem to help?

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Keep Organizing Simple!  

Words that I live by when I am working with clients! Organization is not about perfection or pretty labeled bins and baskets, it’s about function.. Finding what you need, when you need it.

To stay organized…. Keep it simple!

Here are a few suggestions on keeping your organizing systems simple and easy:

1)  Sort Regularly - The less you have the less you have to keep organized!  Get into a routine that makes sense to and that you will remember.  I recommend you do this at the beginning of every season, however there is no right or wrong time.  The point is you do it.  The more times you get into this routine the easier each time will be, because you will have less and less to go through as time goes on.  This is the time to sort and take inventory of your belongings.  Walk from room to room with your bag and donate what you no longer need.  To remember this new habit, make an appointment with yourself and put into your calendar.  This is a great reminder, so you don’t forget it’s time.  Now that you see the reminder, take the time to do it.

2)  Set Clutter Rules - Setting clutter rules can help you contain your clutter.  The following are a few suggestions: 1) In/Out Rule - If you buy something new, something old has to go.  This is the only way to control the clutter and your space.  If you don’t let go, it will just continue to accumulate. 2) Purchase with Purchase -  Think twice before you buy and if you are going to buy, think about where the item is going to live in your home.  For everything, there is place, even for new stuff!   3) Recognize Red Flags- We know some clutter might build up but what is your limit?  For example, if you have a mail basket for all of your incoming mail, once the basket is full, this is a clear sign you need to go through the mail.  This is a clutter red flag.

3)  Organize by Convenience - Throw away the should’s of organization and organize your belongings the way you use them.  It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t make sense to anyone but you.  Don’t waste a lot of time organizing items you rarely use.  Spend your time figuring out the easiest, most simplistic way to organize those items you use all the time.  Remember it’s not about perfection, it’s about being organized enough for you to eliminate the excess stress in your life.  With this said, it’s not to neglect those other items, I just recommend you don’t spend too much time agonizing the best way to arrange and sort.  Pick a home, place them, and move on to what matters most.

Happy Organizing!

by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluetick
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Yay I love to organize! Thanks for posting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Good points. I tend to lose things. If I had them better organized it would help.

lillucky8
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:33 PM
I go thru spurts of organizing, ive never tried to start thinking about things before i buy them, like will i really use it, where will it go etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Cool.

Diana1827a
by on May. 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I really appreciated your post.  I have been in the process of decluttering and spring cleaning. Some very good tips I'm going use!

PhyllisGB
by on May. 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I declutter quite often.  Moving 4 times in 4 years was a big help.  Having garage sales for charity, specifically for DD's annual choir trips was immensely helpful!

I've also gotten rid of a lot of knick-knacks over the years. :)

MamaJane
by Jane on May. 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM

So true!

smile357
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Thanks for the tips. We're in the middle of just finding out what works for us. I don't look for pretty just functional. My hubby is my downfall

connorsmommy120
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Thanks for the tips.

itsallabtthem84
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Nice article, tfs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN