Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing
How do I get rid of fleas in my house before my baby comes? I just started seeing them...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
MamaJane
by Jane on May. 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Yes!  I just wanted to make sure you knew in case you didn't, since you had a tiny one. 

Quoting Janis198:

yes it is, but at least it isn't being sprayed all over the house like a bomb, kwim :)

Quoting MamaJane:

Borax is natural but it's still toxic.  Just be very careful doing this around children.

Quoting Janis198:

Borax, sprinkle it on your carpets and use a broom to sweep it into them leave it on the carpets over night, then vacuum in the morning or when you get around to it the next day.  I used the bombs and all that stuff and the Borax was the only thing that worked.  I had to do it twice, but it worked and I didn't have to worry about the chemicals being all over my baby's stuff, like I did with the bombs.  I also tried all the flea products for the dog, only thing that worked was dawn dish soap.

Janis198
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM

:)

Quoting MamaJane:

Yes!  I just wanted to make sure you knew in case you didn't, since you had a tiny one. 

Quoting Janis198:

yes it is, but at least it isn't being sprayed all over the house like a bomb, kwim :)

Quoting MamaJane:

Borax is natural but it's still toxic.  Just be very careful doing this around children.

Quoting Janis198:

Borax, sprinkle it on your carpets and use a broom to sweep it into them leave it on the carpets over night, then vacuum in the morning or when you get around to it the next day.  I used the bombs and all that stuff and the Borax was the only thing that worked.  I had to do it twice, but it worked and I didn't have to worry about the chemicals being all over my baby's stuff, like I did with the bombs.  I also tried all the flea products for the dog, only thing that worked was dawn dish soap.

Janis

LexRi0709
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM
Bathe the dogs with dawn. Its safe for all animals. Fleas drown in the water. Treat them with frontline or something. Personally for me, frontline has been the only thing that worked. There are powders, and bombs you can get at a pet store. Walmart may even sell them. Fleas suck. Make sure you also treat your yard. You can get a fogger. Its easy and works to help kill and prevent them from being in the yard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on May. 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM

my son had them once really bad and what he did was took his dogs shampoo, Adams, a really good brand, filled a squirt bottle with some and water and sprayed all the furniture, washed all the bedding, it worked really well

Poohy1975
by on May. 15, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Oh how i hate those things. Fortunately they aren't in S.Korea. For some reason they can't survive here.  I'm so happy for that.

wandep
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Now have you ever tried washing cats in dawn?? LOL I don't think that would go over too well. LOL

Quoting lovemymarine18:

And if you have pets, wash them with Dawn. We have done this with ours and it gets the fleas off them without using chemicals!

AzariahsMother
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Never had them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenni_Lynne71
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Yep! LOL! My cats HATE water!

Quoting wandep:

Now have you ever tried washing cats in dawn?? LOL I don't think that would go over too well. LOL

Quoting lovemymarine18:

And if you have pets, wash them with Dawn. We have done this with ours and it gets the fleas off them without using chemicals!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Renee47
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Treat your pets then wash and vacuum everything Put a flea collar in your vacuum it kills the fleas in the vacuum

Bmat
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM

We have the place exterminated, keep all the cats in as inside only cats. When they had them we used the drops that you put on their necks- got it from the vet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)