Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Help!!! I'm drowning in clothes!

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM
  • 21 Replies

I need help with figuring out how to purge our clothes. I swear I do this all the time but, I only end up getting rid of a little bit. We all have WAY too many clothes. My son has 8 drawers and a closet full, my daughter has 2 dresser's full and a closet full. Erik and I both have a dresser full, and a closet and we have some in baskets because we can't fit them.

I will admit, that it's me...I have such a hard time getting rid of clothes. Especially the kids' clothes. I don't know why...

by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connorsmommy120
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I just get so overwhelmed with it I say screw it. ugh...

Quoting Caitlin411:

I was going to work on our clothes today. Jeff and I have reasonable amounts but the kids are over the top. I'm off to post pics in cgg. Follow my journey to being realistic!

connorsmommy120
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I wish we had a place like that around here. I probably get overwhelmed though, because I sort it as I get rid of it. I have a couple of friends who I give Connor's clothes to depending on the size of them, and then a couple of friends I give Kennedy's clothes too. I should just put them all in totes, and tell my friends to come pick through it themselves, or just dump them all off to goodwill.

I just need to go and get it done, I mean Kennedy has 2 full drawers of just pants. She probably wears 5 of those...

Quoting Caitlin411:

Yeah, I'm not even sure what the reasonable amount to have is. I know we'll need more now that its summer but I'm not sure how much. Whatever I'm getting rid of will be taken to once upon a child. Last time I took 3 totes there and I made $267. Not bad!

Quoting connorsmommy120:

I just get so overwhelmed with it I say screw it. ugh...

Quoting Caitlin411:

I was going to work on our clothes today. Jeff and I have reasonable amounts but the kids are over the top. I'm off to post pics in cgg. Follow my journey to being realistic!

johnny4ever
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:38 AM

We donate what doesn't fit or for me will never fit again!

johnny4ever
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Have a garage sale!

Bmat
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I try to have the policy buy one, get rid of one, but I don't always. And there are clothes that I'll never wear again but they have sentimental value. The t-shirt that I bought the first time we took the children to Disney, for example.

Moms_Angels1960
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I think I have read somewhere that the kids should have a total of 8 outfits to wear, 8 for play, 8 for good. That doesn't seem reasonable to me. I wouldn't want to wear the same 8 outfits all the time. I say go through them and put some away flip the hangers around backwards so you know if the item is being worn or not. After a week or 2 just take out those that haven't been flipped and get rid of them.Of course we all have something we will never part with or wear for special occasions don't give them up.

Bring something new home something has got to give. So give up something.

Janis198
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I go through the clothes  3 or 4 times a year.  I go room to room or kid to kid, lol,  garbage bags for donations and garbage bags for holy and stained clothes.  but still with 8 people we have tons of clothes, specially since I have 5 daughters.  Although I do believe my son might have the most clothes, lol

I have totes and space bags full of hammy downs, thats one good thing about having 5 girls, lol.

Bmat
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

How about this:  Pull out things you think you may possibly be willing to get rid of and put them in a charity pile somewhere - mine is in the bottom side of my husband's closet. After a few  weeks,  collect the stuff and give it away.  If you want it before then, it is right there for you to reclaim, but if you can live without it for the couple weeks, then you'll be confident and comfortable about giving it away.

GunaBmommaof3
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM
I heard some advice a long time ago that I try to follow when purging items... If it hasn't been worn or used in over a years time then you don't need it.
Gooberzilla
by on May. 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Start small!  It really does make a difference.  Pick one drawer a day and sort through it.  For each item, besides the obvious holes, stains, too small, etc that would mean throw it out, ask yourself "Do I love this?"  "Does it make me look great?"  "Do I currently have something in my closet to make an outfit with this?" "Have I worn this in the last year?" "Do I have plans to wear it in the next year?"  If the answers to ALL those questions are yes, then it is a keep.  If not, then it is a "give away".  There are obvious exceptions (sentimental t-shirts, wedding dresses, etc), but if it is regular clothes then be ruthless!  And do not EVER keep anything that you plan on "getting back into" if you lose/gain weight.  If you DO change weight, then buy new clothes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN