Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning & Organizing Cleaning & Organizing

Real or fake hardwood?

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM
  • 30 Replies

Would you recommend one of the other, and why?   Our handyman says get fake- it is easy to install and clean. Yet on the househunting shows I watch, they only want real. But I've read in this group about real showing wear and being a major task to refinish. But my husband says, but at least you can refinish real. So I don't know what to do now.

by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

We have real

CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:02 PM

we have REAL hardwood, and wouldnt get anything else for 1 simple reason.. you can always refinish it, if it gets scratched

itsallabtthem84
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM
When we start looking for houses I want it to have the laminate (fake) wood. I watch so many remodels on HGTV and they always recommend the fake wood especially those two brothers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brlee1115
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I'd rather have real. Even if you had to refinish, I think it always shows off better and has character.

I did find original hardwood when I removed the upstairs carpet. When we removed the carpet downstairs, there was ugly linoleum, so we put in laminate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nutmeg101
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM
It depends. In our old house- we put in top end laminate (fake) hardwoods- and it was gorgeous. I loved it. Our current house has real hardwoods that we're never properly cared for and look awful- we will likely have to replace them. (you can only refinish "real" so many times). I know there are cheap fake floors that look- well- cheap, but that isn't always the case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM
I say go with the fake stuff. My parents put pergo flooring in over 10 yrs ago and its still fine. its kid and animal resistant. We had 2 dogs and multiple cats throughout the years. its easy to put down also. It just snaps together. To me it doesn't look cheap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epilepsymom
by on May. 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I dont know.. My mom has real and it looks awful.. My aunt and uncle have fake and its beautiful. You'd never know its fake.. My Uncle is an architec and he says he would NEVER put real hardwood in a new home.. 

Bmat
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Thank you for the replies.  My grandfather and uncle were carpenters and put in some beautiful hardwood floors, so I keep thinking that I must be crazy for considering fake. But on the other hand, my kitchen floor is fake tile congoleum or whatever it is called, and I like it well enough.

wandep
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 8:37 PM

NO!!! I hate laminate flooring. When we bought the house we're in now it has light wood laminate flooring. It scratches really easy and it was badly put in wrong. With our house it is not on concret..raised underneath. Well, you bring heavy furniture in it bubbles up! I can't stand it!!!

Oh and very hard to keep clean...especially the light colored. I could almost sweep and mop every day if I had too. especially with pets.

wandep
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Oh and when we have LOTS of money (LOL) we will buy real wood floors....dark.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)